No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Stuart Crystal  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Montybutton

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Stuart Crystal
    • England
Re: Vintage Stuart Crystal
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
Nigel thank you so much for your detailed response, what a mine of information you are. Little did I imagine this search to replace a broken glass would reveal such an interesting history. I will follow your advice and make contact with the Wedgwood museum and report back if it is of interest. Whether I find any replacements or not, I have been captivated by what you and your GMB colleagues have told me and hope to relay it to my 96 year old mother who owns them. Thanks to you all for your help it is much appreciated.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
I do hope the interesting information helps to compensate for the disappointment of the unlikliness of finding a replacement.

Many of us do use our precious glass every day, for the enjoyment it provides.
The risk of it becoming damaged does increase with the use, but you've had all the years of enjoying it properly, as it was supposed to be enjoyed. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Montybutton

• Members
    • Stuart Crystal
    • England
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »
Sue,  Thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm very philosophical about the breakages and will continue to enjoy the remaining three glasses and handle them even more carefully in future! I am still fascinated by this intriguing research and will explore it as far as I can. Thank you all again for your interest and time spent in sharing your knowledge with me. Eileen

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »
I hope your enjoyment of the remaining three will increase now you know this.
You can always look on them as "a pair, plus a spare".  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Montybutton

• Members
    • Stuart Crystal
    • England
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 04:41:40 PM »
Sue, that's exactly what my husband said! Thanks

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
If this is the Lkny signature i have seen it twice, (i can not see it on the op) a few years ago on a set of wine glasses i did not buy because i did not recognise the pattern and did not think i could sell them and on 5 sherry's i picked up today mainly because of this post i read a few days ago.

Both times only one glass was signed Stuart and LKNY in the set but all the others were signed Stuart without the LKNY.

My new ones are similar to pattern 26320b which looks to have been mass produced, the stem differs though.

You could always have more made to make the set up, there are plenty of good glass makers that can still do it.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
Chris - is the pattern on your glasses Waterford, or is it different  -  it looks to have some similarity with Waterford, the main design of which was a four petal flower image, but I've had another slightly different version which wasn't Waterford.
Is your Lkny mark really a signature, or do you think it is an acid formed mark - it doesn't look to be formed with a stylus or sorts ..........  perhaps Stuart had permission to use the designers name on this pattern permanently.           I didn't see it on the op's glass either.

I've looked back at some earlier chat, and yes, I think 2632B is Waterford  -  although some care needed as although same cut pattern appears on several different shapes, each separate shape appears to have had a different factory pattern No.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »
Hello Paul it's typical Art Deco Stuart Crystal pattern signed Stuart.

I think the signature is machine made rather than by hand, the only reason i can think one is signed is just the look it maybe would spoil the quality and make the foot too fussy?.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 09:05:25 PM »
perhaps the op's glass was marked in a similar way to yours then, and maybe in that case Stuart did have copyright to reproduce Kny's name on certain patterns, with an acid process rather than a real signature.          In all the years I haunted boot fairs have to say I wasn't aware of finding his name on any glasses.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
Are we talking about the same person?, have you seen this snippit.

I take it it's Ludwig jnr?.

My advice to anyone with a favourite glass is to put it away safe, i smashed my beloved coke glass in a pre Black Sabbeth double coke and JD tipple Saturday and now i'm totally gutted.

http://nativemonster.com/attractions/museums/historic-glass-goes-on-display-in-stourbridge
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand