No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Stuart Crystal  (Read 7338 times)

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
Re: Vintage Stuart Crystal
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 10:06:07 PM »
Hello,

Given the number of pieces found in the 'Waterford' pattern that have the L Kny facsimile signature mark on them it seems reasonable to make an assumption that this was a pattern that was designed for one of the aforementioned exhibitions, which was then put into production.

There are, after all too many pieces known to make it credible that they all came from these exhibitions. More probable IMHO, is that it was successful and garnered so many orders that Stuart decided to put it into production using the L Kny name. It was produced for a long period, is relatively common, and is also seen without the L Kny mark. The avant garde designs were less well supported by department store buyers, so, this design giving a nod to the more traditional is likely to have received far more commercial success.

So, did they take his name off after they finished fulfilling those orders; after he died; or, maybe, after WWII? No work on this has been done I'm afraid, however too many pieces exist to make them rarified. More desirable maybe, but whether it commands more money I guess only the market can tell.

Cheers, Nigel

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »
Same as the modern day Jasper Conran by Stuart.

The glass i have shown is not modern, it's too well made.

Without sounding negative i don't think it's common either having only seen it twice in ten years and i look at a lot of crystal like Paul. :)
Chris Parry

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
    • London, England
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 01:24:54 AM »
How many examples do you want Chris? I have a box full and have refused quite a number over thirty years, most particularly since the exhibition we held in 2003.

Cheers, Nigel

Offline Montybutton

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Stuart Crystal
    • England
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
This is an interesting development. I intend to post a photo of the LKny signature on my glass and the jug, however it is stored at my mother's house and will not be visiting until mid February. My non- expert assumption is the signature is an acid mark rather than hand signed. Thanks to you all for your responses. Must admit I had never thought I could have a replacement made. Expect it would be very expensive.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »
I suppose the price would depend on who you asked to make it.  :)
There are many excellent glassmakes who could reproduce a facsimile of the glass shape and several engravers you could commission to reproduce the pattern.
I imagine it would be quite reasonable.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »
My advice to anyone with a favourite glass is to put it away safe, i smashed my beloved coke glass in a pre Black Sabbeth double coke and JD tipple Saturday and now i'm totally gutted.

Sometimes that doesn't even work. I had much of my "wedding" crystal, my husband's few pieces of Edinburgh Crystal (Loch Nagar pattern, I believe) and some glass bits and bobs in a cabinet with glass doors and shelves. The upper shelf shattered and we lost many, many pieces.

Carolyn

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 07:27:53 PM »
I can't help but feel it was a fitting tribute to Black Sabbath,  ;D
Nothing but the best should be smashed!
But sorry you lost your glass Chris, just don't get Paranoid about it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Montybutton

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Stuart Crystal
    • England
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 07:28:41 AM »
I may explore having a replacement made. However can anyone either recommend a quality glassmaker in the Midlands or point me in the direction of how I could find one? It is as much the shape of the glass and quality of the crystal that makes them so appealing rather than the pattern. I know of an engraver in Warwick. Thanks.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
Are the boxed ones you have  all signed LKny  Nigel?, ive just charity shopped 400 pieces of crystal to make space in my storage unit and loft.

I had an epergne made for an art deco centerpiece and it cost £30 and you would not be able to tell the difference the colour is a perfect match.

I saw Black Sabbeth again Saturday and started on my new tippler a really worn early victorian ale glass so hopefully it will keep up the pace.
Chris Parry

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
    • London, England
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 11:31:59 PM »
Facsimile signed L Kny 'Waterford' pattern bowls, vases, epergne, bon-bons, glasses, etc. - so say, two crates come to think of it.

Against any other designs that are marked L Kny, by far and away the 'easiest' to find. Moreover, it's rare to find any of the other designs twice, let alone more times in my experience. This includes both searching out and about, and watching topics about it on the Internet, articles and terrestrial auctions over the years.

Cheers, Nigel

PS. Sent you a PM Montybutton. N

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand