No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: visit to TNA 26.01  (Read 632 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
visit to TNA 26.01
« on: January 25, 2017, 11:18:07 AM »
I intend to be at Kew tomorrow, so if anyone has a Registration No. for which they would like further information, let me know. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: visit to TNA 26.01
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
me again - obscure Etruscan query again.
Paul, if you have time, and if it's possible please - I'm not sure how this works so don't know if I'm asking the impossible:
Is there any way you could look for Richardson's registrations or designs rather for this vase again - I am hoping it might be c. 1850 or 1851, perhaps even 1849 as there was a show in Birmingham then?
Is that possible, or am I asking for an impossible task - apologies if so as I don't quite know how many volumes you might have to trawl through if you see what I mean?  If impossible then please don't worry.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53085.msg301507.html#msg301507

The design of the horse and rider and Herakles is taken from this picture (lion's tail adapted on my vase for decency ):
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/hamilton1791bd1/0182?sid=966ec6a1801f829245687ffc39c059b0

The bearded guy is Iobates and taken from this plate:
http://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/hamilton1791bd1/0171?sid=966ec6a1801f829245687ffc39c059b0

Thanks so much

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:48:12 PM »
sorry m  -  going to disappoint you and be negative on this issue I'm afraid, even without going to Kew.          I have photographs of all (in fact I think there's only five in total) of the Richardson Greek/Etruscan images, and none appears to be a match for the illustrations on your glass.                     
The famous Registrations of which you speak are from July 1847, and concern Rd. Nos. 43924 to 27.          These Registrations show a variety of characters in various poses, including horses, bacchanalian festivities, some with war-like adornment, tinkers and other general frolicking  -  enough to make you wish you been born two and a half thousand years ago, when the wine flowed and free love was everywhere.

Unfortunately, I can't see your particular designs.          When I get the time in the coming days I'll send you un-watermarked copies of these Registrations for personal viewing only - trust you won't use them publicly without watermarking. :)      Some year or so back I did show one of these 1847 Registrations, but I forget exactly when, so have added picture now showing Rd. Nos. 43924 and 43925.

Of course if you know of other Richardson Registrations apart from the ones I've mentioned, let me know.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 06:07:04 PM »
Paul, thank you so much.  I know you had put something on here before, but I've lost all my research and couldn't find them.

And... I am now pursuing a possible Bacchus link rather than Richardson  :o
Please dont' go to any trouble, but if you 'happen' upon a Bacchus Etruscan design, that would be absolutely fab.

Thank you again.  I truly appreciate your help.

'...enough to make you wish you been born two and a half thousand years ago, when the wine flowed and free love was everywhere.'
As always, I would say 'but only if one were rich'.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
the trouble with history is that it's all in the past ;D                In fact tomorrow I shall be looking at specific Registrations, and won't have the time to look quite in that sort of casual way  -  but if you do find a particular Rd. No. some time, then I shall make other visits in the coming months.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand