No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice Vase - BIG and HEAVY - Canadian Connection? ~ aka KANADA ~  (Read 2036 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Hi there:
A monster of a Vase!! This came with the other 2 Czech vases I just posted.   Must weight at least 8 pounds, if not a bit more!! It is 10 inches tall - with a top opening of about 6.50 inches across.  The bottom tells the story Plus good wear for age. Czech SKRDLOVICE I believe -- BUT --  there is a number on bottom I thought might be just a Social Insurance Number( ?? )  but there CLEARLY appears to be a * P *  in the front of the number.  I know lots of SKRDLOVICE have a PN number to them. IT LOOKS like the number 62 or something like  P6255, or P6288, or something. The best that I can read ( OR THINK IT SAYS) IS:

P6255 G8E214 ........ or P6288 G867714 ???

But that is a Guess.

Chalet Glass was influenced / Made by Skrdlovice ( for KANADA ) Canada as noted in another Post of mine here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61499.msg346509.html#msg346509

As VETRAIO had said before about my other Bowl with the curl at the end:

""" S.P. Myers and Co. Ltd.
There were fourteen designs are for Earl Myers at Skrdlovice.
There were 3 ashtrays, 2 vases, 7 bowls and 1 basket.
All have design numbers that begin with 62 .... giving us a year when they were first produced and exported to Canada for sale there. """

**** Robert ( bODA ) might want to take a peek at this too, as it is my understanding those Chalet pieces were made at Skrdlovice and for KANADA ( Canada ) and suppose to have a PN starting with a 62 -- like this does.  IF that number means anything....?

So this I need BIG TIME HELP, Please and Thanks
 :-*
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Skrdlovice Vase - BIG and HEAVY - Canadian Connection? ~ aka KANADA ~
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:32:10 PM »
Hi Gang -- Wondering if any additional info at all for this -- or a direction at all?

Thanks in advance !! :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
I really like these heavy mid-century Skrdlovice pieces.  They're full of character.  I think your vase was likely designed by Bohuslav Beranek c.1954.   That number on the base has nothing to do with the piece/design itself -- I believe a previous owner added the number for insurance / (anti-)theft purposes.

I think you may have mis-interpreted information regarding Meyers, or perhaps I'm not quite understanding what you are saying...  Skrdlovice did not make glass for Chalet (or Lorraine), nor did these glassworks pass off Skrdlovice production as their own.  I don't quite see a connection between these Canadian makers and Skrdlovice, except the fact that Meyers a talented businessman who headed an import company (which did import glass from Czechoslovakia), and also happened to be owner of Lorraine.   

Anik :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 01:36:36 PM »
oopsie...  Myers, not Meyers

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
Thx Anik, the reason we think Myers contracted Skrdlovice to make several designs, is because his name is in the pattern books as "designer" of a dozen or so pieces. He probably then imported as you describe and had his own production at Lorraine. This Skrdlovice thing seems to have been a short lived attempt at finding affordable quality production, an extension of his importing from the region ....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:24 PM »
Hi Robert...   That, I know.  ;D   My comment about Myers was in reference to the poster's claim that "Chalet Glass was influenced / Made by Skrdlovice".   
I don't see how Chalet comes into the picture.  But like I said, maybe there is something I'm not understanding.

Anik   

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:25 PM »
Thank you for the clarification Anik. I see your point, as you say, it is only Lorraine and Myers that had any link to Skrdlovice,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:45:49 PM »
The piece in this thread is not Myers but likely Bohuslav Beranek for Skrdlovice from the mid fifties. It could be in the Rocco thread somewhere....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Thank you bODA and Anik for your replies,  info and thoughts

I meant when I said Chalet to say Lorraine Glass...I had Chalet on the Brain, as I am sure that happens to all of us.  I still think ( IMHO ) that the number on the bottom is still strange -- with a P then what looks like 62 on it.  That is my opinion here as I will always wonder about it. 

The poster name here in antiquerose.....aka Rose, me.....LOL.

This sure is a beautiful piece and SO heavy. I think it could be a Weapon too but too beautiful for that  ;D 

Again Thank you both bODA and Anik.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand