No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Samuel Cole Falcon Glassworks Stoke and Jonathon Richardson of Richardson glass  (Read 8978 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Anyone heard of Samuel Cole and his Falcon Glass Works Stoke on Trent??
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 10:54:31 PM »
aah - well, we live in hope.
Meanwhile, I do like the link you gave and refer to it quite a lot in my quest for knowing more about Richardson glass :)
I have noticed that they spell Johnathon with two h's. Is that relevant?
Do we have a family tree for Jonathon/Johnathon? to see whether he had a daughter called Mary Ann?
I'll have a look in CH's book

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 11:22:10 PM »
So far I have found Jonathon with one h only in CH British Glass
He married a Sarah and in 1838 'baptised their daughter Martha Jemima, ...'.
If Cole married Mary in 1849, mmm, that must mean she was an older sister if she was a daughter of the Jonathon Richardson of the Richardson dynasty
CH doesn't have an enormous amount of info on Jonathon and says so, but it does say that in 1838 when he baptised his daughter his profession was 'Glass Master, formerly Clark and Book-keeper', so by that time he presumably had worked for a longish period to become a Glass Master.
Let's hope he had more daughters before 1838. 
If Mary was 22 when she married Samuel Cole she'd have been born in 1827,
 so 11 years between say her and the younger sister.
 Ah, Jonathon Richardson was born in 1806. 
So that's possible - he'd have been 21 when she (Mary) was born.

m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 11:59:01 PM »
Thank, m, I don't have the  CH book  so it is useful to know what Charles knew of the family. I will go back and rummage some more... ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 12:33:23 AM »
Yes it's surprising that he mentions that not much is known about Jonathon - I did wonder what might be in the archives.
But weirdly I've just found an advert for Richardson's (not sharing at mo, my Richardson resources are precious :) ) which actually shows a jug that they have photographed in CH British Glass!  I was so shocked to come across the advert  - have never seen one before and it's not in the book. And I've spent years searching for Richardson material.  It then made me wonder if it might be in the archives somewhere. 

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 02:41:58 AM »
Ann, we might be out of luck
But this is the 1851 census and Mary was married by then
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=14261.0
851 Worcestershire

Stourbridge,Kinswinford,Wordsley  Piece 2036 Fol 45

Sch no. 113; Wordsley
Jonathan Richardson,head,m,44,Flint glass manufacturer,Kingswinford,STS
Sarah Richardson,wife,m,45,Dudley,WOR
Sarah Richardson,dau,18,Kingswinford,STS
John Thomas Haden Richardson,son,16,scholar,Kingswinford,STS
Martha Jemima Richardson,dau,13,scholar,Kingswinford,STS
Edith Richardson,6,scholar,Kingswinford,STS
Ann Eunice Sarah Richardson,dau,1,Kingswinford,STS
Louisa Philips,serv,u,13,house servant,Kingswinford,STS

and on that link, by 1871 Sarah Richardson was widowed - so presumably Jonathon died sometime between 1851 and 1871- he was born in 1806.
This article appears to say he was still alive in 1863
http://theantiquarian.us/Hist.%20Richardson%20Brothesr%20.htm

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 04:29:53 AM »
Oooh! Very well found for your advert! :)

I have found Jonathan Richardson aged 30*, flint glass maker living in Wordsley, Kingswinford, wife name of Sarah aged 35*on the 1841 Census, which shows a daughter Mary aged 13, son Joseph aged 10, daughter Sarah aged 8, son John aged 6, daughter Martha aged 3, daughter Eleanor aged 6 months.  [* adult ages in 1841 Census were rounded to nearest 5 years - don't ask why, I have no idea. Someone thought it was a good idea at the time!]

Living next door but one to them in 1841 at Wordsley Glass Works were Benjamin Richardson aged 35*, glassmaker, his wife Ann aged 40*, plus their children William (15), Ann (11), Henry (9), Martha (7), Benjamin (2), Joseph (6 months). [* ages rounded again]

On the 1851 Census on which proper ages were recorded I found them at the same place, flint glass manufacturer, aged 44, wife Sarah aged 45, Jonathan was born in Kingwinsford, Sarah in Dudley. with their children Sarah (18), John Thomas Haden Richardson (16), Martha Jemima Richardson (13), Edith Richardson (6), Ann Eunice Sarah Richardson (1),

and again next door but one in 1851 at the Glass Works Benjamin Richardson, aged 44, flint glass manufacturer, and his children W.H. Richardson (25), Mary Maria Roose (23), Martha Haden Richardson (17), Benjamin Richardson (12), Joseph Richardson (10), Henry Gething Richardson (19).

By 1861 Sarah is a widow, Jonathan died 1857 in Kingswinford aged 50, burial date 06 May 1857, which is interesting, as the article on the Richardson brothers had Johnathan still alive aged 59 in 1863 at the formation of the new partnership - which it stated was dissolved in 1869, so I also looked up in the London Gazette the dissolution of that partnership of Hodgetts, Richardson & Pargeter and found the date of dissolution was 1871. Also the article claims that both Jonathan and Benjamin were a part of the partnership (even though we know Jonathan died in 1857) but this does not match the Gazette entry, which gives the partnership as just three men, as below:

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, William James Hodgetts, Benjamin Richardson, and Philip Pargeter, of Wordsley, in the parish of Kingswinford, in the county of Stafford, as Flint Glass Manufacturers, under the style or firm of Hodgetts, Richardson, and Pargeter, has this day been dissolved by mutual consent. All debts and liabilities of the late firm will be received and paid by the said William James Hodgetts and Benjamin Richardson.—
Dated this 6th day of April, 1871.
W. J. Hodgetts.
Benjamin Richardson.
Philip Pargeter.

Sarah also has another son with her in 1861 - Jonathan aged 15, and the family next door to them at Wordsley is that of Elizabeth Hodgetts (is this the one from Red House Glass Works mentioned in The Antiquarian article?) who is presumably somehow connected to W J Hodgetts of the partnership?   In 1871 Sarah has gone back to Dudley (where she was born) and is living with two of her (unmarried) daughters and a granddaughter, whilst in 1881 she is in Marsh Street, Stoke with her married daughter Martha J and family, where she is shown as Glass Manuf Widow aged 76. (Incidentally, that is the same street as Samuel Cole and his wife Mary Ann were living at in 1851!)  She died in the 2nd quarter of 1881 in Stoke.

I also found the baptism for Mary Ann Richardson in Kingswinford, father Jonathan, mother Sarah, baptism date 31 May 1829.
So, my opinion is that Mary Ann who married Samuel Cole *is* the daughter Mary of Jonathan Richardson (the man who died 1857.)

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
You are amazing!
We are amazing - we have found a new glassmaker :)

and you have found a direct and immediate link to Benjamin and Jonathon Richardson - incredible! that is so exciting.

I think Elizabeth Hodgetts yes was wife of ?  I remember looking in the Black country museums site last night and they have paintings by Elizabeth and two other Richardson women.  It's just something I noticed whilst scrolling through.
edited - I think it was Emily Hodgetts paintings - will have a further look for info on Elizabeth later. 

And a much better history on Jonathon Richardson.  Thank you Anne. That's brilliant.

I think we should try and draw a family tree for them (Jonathon Richardson leading down to Mary and Samuel Cole) especially since Samuel Cole went on to be a glass maker.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:51 AM »
and I've got to go out in a mo but
 in 1876 Hodgetts,Richardson and Pargeter patented a threading machine under the name W. J.  Hodgetts.
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hodgetts,_Richardson_and_Pargeter
That might help look up Elizabeth.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
Anne it is odd that article implies Johnathon (sic) was still alive in 1863 - it might have been taken from Grace's guide (see below).
Perhaps some assumptions have been made down the line?

You have discovered that 'Jonathan died 1857 in Kingswinford aged 50, burial date 06 May 1857'

Grace's guide is implying here that Jonathon was still alive in 1863 as well

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hodgetts,_Richardson_and_Pargeter

'Hodgetts, Richardson and Pargeter

Hodgetts, Richardson and Pargeter, of Wordsley Glass Works, Stourbridge
1854 Benjamin Richardson and his brother Jonathan went into partnership with their nephews, Philip Pargeter and William James Hodgetts.

1863 John Thomas Haden Richardson left Richardsons to join the Tutbury Glass Co as a managing partner. Benjamin and Jonathan between them had lost their three oldest sons to other companies. So they turned to their nephews, Philip Pargeter and William James Hodgetts Parageter who returned to the firm.

1863 the two nephews with their Richardson uncles formed a new partnership of Hodgetts, Richardson and Pargeter.

5 designs registered from 1865 to 1870
1869 the partnership was dissolved. Pargeter remained for two more years as the Manager.
1871 Philip Pargeter left to take over the Red House Glassworks. Benjamin Richardson talked his son Henry Gething Richardson into coming back to the firm. A new partnership was formed known as Hodgetts, Richardson and Sons.'

However:

On Grace's guide entry for Benjamin Richardson it does not imply that at all.  It just doesn't mention Jonathon Richardson after 1854
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Benjamin_Richardson

Benjamin Richardson
of Stourbridge, Worcestershire
1802 Born, ninth child of Joseph Richardson, a master furnace builder who had built the Wordsley Flint Glass House furnace in 1781.
Benjamin was to be the founder of one of the great English glass-manufacturing houses, instrumental in the introduction of modern glass-working methods to England. Richardson's Stourbridge factory was the first in the country to have a threading machine for making filigree glass and the first to make mass-produced pressed glass tumblers. The factory pioneered the use of pressing machines for decorating flint glass with relief ornaments. His firm also became one of the leaders in producing cameo glass for commercial sale.
Richardson is also remembered for his efforts to reduce the cost of manufacturing quality glassware, thus rendering it accessible to the general public.
Benjamin Richardson began at Thomas Hawkes where he learnt the trade eventually becoming manager.
1828 Benjamin Richardson was hired by the Wainwrights to re-open Wordsley Flint Glass Works which they had just purchased
1829 Richardson and Thomas Webb and his brother William Haden Richardson entered partnership as Webb and Richardson, taking over the Wordsley Glass Works.
1836 Webb left the partnership. The third Richardson brother, Jonathan, then joined the firm, which became known as W. H., B. and J. Richardson.
1854 He formed the partnership Hodgetts, Richardson and Pargeter with Jonathan Richardson, and their nephews Philip Pargeter and William James Hodgetts.
1871 Philip Pargeter left the partnership; Benjamin's son, Henry Gething Richardson, joined the partnership which then became Hodgetts, Richardson and Sons (1871-82)
1887 Benjamin Richardson died at the age of 85.

I suspect that since no one (who was writing about it) knew he had died, it has been 'assumed' that he was still in partnership with his brother Benjamin.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »
I happen to be on Ancestry at the moment.

Here's the probate, presumably the guy you're after:

Jonathan Richardson effects under £300... late of Wordsley in the county of Stafford, Gentleman deceased who died 29 April 1857 at Wordsley was proved at Lichfield by the oath of Samuel Cole of Shelton in the said County, Glass Dealer the sole Executor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand