No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Samuel Cole Falcon Glassworks Stoke and Jonathon Richardson of Richardson glass  (Read 3518 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :-*  thanks Anne

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ellis repeatedly refers to Jonathon Richardson (brother of Benjamin and W.H.) as Johnathon.
Until page 335 where he refers to him as both Johnathon and Jonathon.

One reason could be because in 'Richardson Papers no 41 Bankruptcy notices' (see pp 348 note 82), Jonathon seems to  have been mentioned as Johnathon - (see p329) where Ellis quotes
 'B. Richardson on 5 May, 1848 mortgaged all his interest in the glass trade to W.H. and J. Richardson as security of liabilities incurred by them in their bills without  their knowledge and consent as alleged by Mr Johnathon Richardson'.

There is also a note on pp 347 Note 60. 'Johnathon Richardson, son  of Joseph Richardson and his wife Martha, nee Haden, bap. 24th Aug 1806 Kingswinford.' where it refers to him as Johnathon not Jonathon - this might be the primary error?

I've no idea why Ellis then switches to Jonathon. 

There is also another misconception in the sentence where he makes that switch -
'Benjamin was sixty-one and Jonathon(sic) fifty-nine years old.'  (pp335)

where from the information Anne has given, Jonathon had already died by the time Benjamin was sixty-one.

I suspect that because a death was not established for Jonathon (brother of William H and Benjamin i.e. 'our' Jonathon) assumptions were made that he was still alive.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Adding a link to another thread where there is now more information on Jonathon Richardson and his wife Sarah (nee Lloyd) from a member of the family.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,70366.msg391841.html#msg391841

Offline Georgina Drummond

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Can I just add to my previous posts, it's absolutely right that Jonathan had 3 sons but two of them died young.  The one I had missed is Jonathan (sometimes spelt Johnathan) baptised in Kingswinford 10 April 1846, married Sarah Ann Morton at St Thomas Dudley 31 Jan 1864, died aged 21 January 1/4 1867.  I haven't found any children.  I think the existence of this son probably accounts for the apparent references to Jonathan Senior in the business after he died.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand