Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Any info on CVG/VCG mark?

(1/2) > >>

dhall:
I recently came acroos a glass slipper collection that belonged to my great-grandmother.  One piece has a CVG mark, where the V is larger than the C & G.  The Cis in the crux of the V and the G is at the bottom.  The piece is of a bsic slipper with a cat's head peering out over the toungue and looking in the direction of the toe.  The coloring is dark, almost pewter/metallic looking with a multi-color sheen.  Any information on the maker's mark or the piece is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Darryl

Glen:
Could it be OVG?

Fenton's Olde Virginia Glass line - made circa 1971 - marked with the letters OVG (vertically). Could your slipper be purple Carnival Glass? Sounds like that is what you have.

Glen

Frank:
OVG as described is shown In Hartmann, c1920 Frank Leslie Fenton, Art Glass Co. USA. No CVG shown.

Glen:
Hartmann's wrong on the date. Fenton's Olde Virgina Glass (OVG) was introduced in the mid 1950s. Frank M (Muhleman) Fenton (eldest son of Frank Leslie Fenton) and his brother Bill were in charge of the factory then, as Frank L. had passed on in 1948.

The cat slipper (Fenton #1995) was made in the OVG line (marked) in purple Carnival - and that's what I suspect it just might be.

Glen

dhall:
I was just informed by an expert that the mark is probably OVG - Olde Virginia Glass line by Fenton (circa 1971).  This makes sense due to the style of the figurine being of a cat peering out of a slipper which is a common theme of Fenton Art Glass.  

However, I was hoping it was of a much earlier date (early 1900's) as I was told it belonged to my great-grandmothers collection.  It is possible that my grandmother purchased it in the 70's to add to the collection.  Is anyone else aware of any other  possible makers using a OVG, VGC, or any other combination??

Thank you,
Darryl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version