No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venetian or English ?small white glass creamer.  (Read 648 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Venetian or English ?small white glass creamer.
« on: January 28, 2017, 07:09:56 PM »
I think this might be early Victorian and English, very thick glass and a lot of wear to the base and gilding with a lovely polished pontil.

Any thought's welcome, regards Chris.

a tiny 3 inches in height.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Venetian or English ?small white glass creamer.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
A polished pontil mark is not usually associated with late C19 Murano, neither is thick walled. That probably does leave England and maybe France as front runners.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »
I think Harrach  - Source Fakturen Buch 1851-1854 p64. (as taken from From Neuwelt to the Whole World pp117)

The body shape is not identical but the handle is more or less (difficult to tell from the pattern drawing). 
The one shown as a real piece was donated by Gustav E. Pazaurek and has fine blue and white threads and a gilded pattern on the body.
The drawing is plain but the shape of the handle with the pincered work and as well is the same.  It is also the same as the handle on the real piece.
The real piece also has a gilded rim though not as trefoil in shape, and has the gilded pincered work on the handle.

On the shape of the body alone with the trefoil rim, I do have to caveat the above with the fact it is very similar to a piece I own that I always suspected was Clichy (from online atts) but now think is probably Saint- Louis.

This is because the body shape on the Harrach one is not so 'upright' as yours, it is more squat and 'fat' if you like, less 'shapely'.

However, taking the handle, the filigrana and the shape into account I think it is Harrach.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:13:19 PM »
another book on the growing list, thanks for your help.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand