No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mercury glass item - Adalbert or Albert Scheinost mark? exciting discovery  (Read 1380 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I think I might have made an exciting discovery today :) 

I love mercury glass and have just added a new piece because it is marked/signed on the base.  From what I gather  this is 'unusual'. 
In the case of the mark on mine this might actually be rare.

'...The Bohemian firm of Hugo Wolf did use a similar seal, and rare pieces with the "HW" embossed on a metal disc under glass can be found.  ...'
source: http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/mercury_glass.htm
Diane C. Lytwyn - author of the Pictorial Guide To Silvered Mercury Glass (Collector Books).

In Das Bohmische Glas Band III pp130-136 there is a fairly long article and a number of pieces are pictured. 
The article says that generally pieces with marks are scarce. 
It shows some makers marks in the book, but not the mark on mine.
The article also gives a list of makers including the company who I think made mine along with an explanation of how the list was compiled:
(There are no others with the same initials in the list)
translated part text:
'Text from DMB pp131
Overview of manufacturers and companies of Silbergases. The following tables use two different source groups:
- Hints on the glashuttes, as for example from the address book of the glass industry of Germany and Osterreichs from 1903, 1907 and 1911 as well as from the older Glasliteratur like Lobmeyr, Ludwig / llg, Albert / Boheim, Wendelin: The glass industry, their history, present development And Statistics, Stuttgart 1874, and Adalbert Scheinost in Haida (trademark not known) or Hugo Wolf in Jihlava (trademark, "HW", see below);
- "brands" in different techniques (either already in the model given, in the figures, or as a press mark in the floor plates, in cups, cups and vases etc.), as can be shown on the figures and vessels themselves.
The visibility of extensive silver collection shows that only a fraction of all objects are marked in any way. While the "figures" of Janke and Co seem to have many, even very simple, formations in Haida, the brands in the floor plates can be found, especially in the case of uniquely "better" merchandise groups .
The comparison of these different brands with the manufacturers' lists shows that only a part of the brands can be safely identified; Some can not be solved at the moment, and some like "k" are not clear. However, the marked improvement in research opportunities in the Czech Republic since 1990 has led to a deepening of knowledge in this area.'

The makers mark on mine is I think Adalbert Scheinost (Nový Bor). 

I found another article about an exhibition at one of the museums that gives a little more info:
http://www.glauchau.de/glauchau/content/12/20120113095841.asp

That article says Adalbert Scheinost was one of the main makers of mercury glass in Bohemia (Haida) and in 1872 employed 200               people making Mercury glass items:

'For Adalbert Scheinost 1872 about 200 workers produced the sought after silver glasses in a total value of 165 000 florins. This corresponded to a tenth of the complete sales of the Donaumonarchy to glassware.'

Of note that the museum only has a very small collection of mercury glass.
There is a larger collection here

http://skd-online-collection.skd.museum/de/contents/searchList?filter%5BtextSearch%5D=Bauernsilber&submit_button=Suchen
but no further detailed information.

My piece is a salt, not overly huge, and not particularly intricately decorated either although it does have a gilded interior bowl as well as the silvered exterior and engraved design ... but the makers mark is exquisite (which is why I bought it) and is impressed into a lead seal in the base of the foot. 

I don't know if the mark has been discovered since the book was written(1995) but haven't found anything to demonstrate that might be the case. 
I don't own the English version book on Mercury Glass so something might be in there but nothing is coming up on net searches at all.

A very exciting find :)  ... if I am right.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Re: Mercury glass item - Adalbert or Albert Scheinost mark? exciting discovery
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
Sorry I cant add anything about your observations on the maker, Only I think ive picked up a of this type in the past and they usually have a hole where the seal has long gone if im thinking of the right thing. What a find to have an interesting monogram on the bottom surely a scarce thing. Nice one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:22:07 PM »
Thank you :) yes they are most often found with their discs missing.
I have it's matching pair as well but that has the disc and mark missing.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
 ;)
Exactly what I need to go with my posh tablecloth.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »
Sue, yes but I've seen a bright blue one that would be perfect for you!
I'll try and find it again and send you a link if I can find it.

and I can't part with this one because it appears to be the only one in the world ... crikey ... how mad is that.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:56:27 PM »
Silver, gold and white accessories only. ;D
There's quite enough blue in the cloth and around the edges of my (otherwise white) plates.
This is a really lovely thing, m. And the mark is exquisite. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »
oh that is true (about the blue - t'would tip it over the edge).

Well I'll keep an eye out.

I love the ones with gilded interiors - they are very elegant and would go so well on your table.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 08:48:25 PM »
I'll keep quiet about trying to "clean" the gilding out of the inside of a silver sugar bowl and cream jug.
The gilding is there to protect the vessel from the salt (or other contents), gold being inert.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 09:03:55 PM »
 ;D oops

I've the same problem on a silver stand.  I want to clean it but I suspect the interior is vermeil so I've left it just in case - dithering.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
doing a search for something else I came across this article.  I should probably write to them about my marked piece.

and if you click on the link there is the most giant pair of mercury glass or double walled silver glass items the museum acquired.
In total the museum only have 80 pieces.

'The museum displays the most luxurious vases
Sušice, Kašperské Hory - The Šumava Museum currently owns one of the largest collections of silver glass in the world.
Source: https://klatovsky.denik.cz/zpravy_region/muzeum-vystavuje-nejluxusnejsi-vazy20120121.html?reakce=nova'

https://g.denik.cz/21/5f/susice_210112_denik-630.jpg

https://klatovsky.denik.cz/zpravy_region/muzeum-vystavuje-nejluxusnejsi-vazy20120121.html?reakce=nova

Article translates as:

'A few years ago, this collection was able to significantly enrich the vase pair, which is one of the most preserved silvered glass items in Europe.

"In the collection we have small and big cups, bowls, vases, candlesticks, statuettes. Last year, thanks to the financial help of the so-called Norwegian funds, we managed to rebuild a collection of nearly 80 objects from silver glass, "said the director of the Šumava Sušice Museum, which has branches in Kašperské Hory and Železná Ruda, Zdeňka Řezníčková.
Source: https://klatovsky.denik.cz/zpravy_region/muzeum-vystavuje-nejluxusnejsi-vyzy20120121.html?reakce=nova
Stained glass was first made in the 1940s (sic - I think this should read translated as 1840s) and patented in England in 1849.
Its production moved to Bohemia around 1860 and the glass was started in the local glassworks. For many years, glass masters have been trying to produce silver glass using tin, lead, bismuth, mercury and other mixtures. Initially, a mercury solution was used, based on the techniques used to mirror mirrors. "Every glassworks later had their own secret and highly guarded recipe for making silver. At the end of the 19th century, customer interest in silver-plated glass began to decline, and its features began to reappear in the field of technical glass. It was first used in chemical laboratories, but soon appeared a new product for a wide-ranging daily use, thermos. Another use has found this glass in the manufacture of spotlights. After World War II, the production of silk-glass objects was practically finished, except for thermos, "said Řezníčková.

You can visit the largest exhibition of silvered glass products in the Kašperské Hory Museum. "One of the glassworks that used to deal with silver glass was the glassworks in Anin. There they produced various interesting things like giant altars and candlesticks. Previously, either luxury or decorative items and ordinary human needs such as cups, vases, figurines, crosses, and so on, I myself remember that I was seeing glassware in chapels in my childhood, "Vladimír Horpeniak, historian of the Šumava Museum in Kašperské Hory, told the Journal.

Previously, silver-plated glass was a common thing, but after the decline of its production, it became popular in antique shops, and its price also grew. "We owe a great deal of memorial to the collection that we have here, mainly to Emanuel Boušek, who was the director of the local museum in 1945 and 1970 and who gathered a lot. The present product of silver glass was also accompanied by the writer Jitka Lněničková, "said Horpeniak.

In the early 1970s, silver-plated glass was the source of a new generation of artists for its artistic expression. And so it looks like silver glass has a new future ahead. With the silver layer on the glass we will meet today at the garden balls and the exceptional art works of glass artists. Most often we meet him at Christmas decorations.

Author: Daniela Loudová'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand