No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars knobbly vases  (Read 10339 times)

Sklounion

Whitefriars knobbly vases
« on: December 23, 2004, 11:08:33 AM »
Please could anyone advise on the date of the start of production of the above? Also, for those dealing in, or collecting knobblies, have you experienced any vases, that appear to be Whitefriars, are contemporary with, but are not Whitefriars items, based on colour, sizes, etc?
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Marcus

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 11:19:50 AM »
Huge subject, Marcus.

Have you considered whether an initial query on one of the Whitefriars websites would be more productive, at least until you had identified the major players?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 11:33:26 AM »
Hi Bernard,
What has caused the query is that among the books I've recently acquired is one which appears to show knobbly vases, made in the former Czechoslovakia, which date to 1954. Almost a chicken and egg question I know. I'm not referring to those described as 'molar', but others @ 3-6 inches in height. Will send image by e-mail, as I still haven't mastered posting on-board.
Regards,
Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 05:54:03 PM »
Following on from my earlier query, the Whitefriars range date to 1963, designed Wilson and Dyer. If knobbly vases appeared before 1963, then my second question regarding knobblies that are not Whitefriars, still stands, anyone seen any?????

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 11:32:41 AM »
I have seen tons of knobblies attributed to Whitefriars but which probably aren't so I'm not sure what you are looking for. Any chance of a pic ?

There should be quite a few posted on "Is It Whitefriars ?" at www.whitefriars.com.

Here's mine which I have never been able to ID and is NOT WF.
Pete

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 12:21:14 PM »
It looks like Liskeard Glass to me, Peter.

See topic Nearly Knobbly, possibly Leerdam? from early 2004.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 12:52:34 PM »
Thanks for the thread link Bernard.
I do have a couple of pieces of Liskeard Glass for comparison. Both are cased in clear, thicker at the bottom and have the LG stamp.

Mine has no LG stamp on the base and is I fancy quite a bit older than Liskeard Glass (1978-1983).

I don' t know if all WF knobblies are shown in Lesie Jsckson's Whitefriars book as there's an aweful lot missing from it even many items from the textured range but I can't afford the £200 for the Museum of London book !!!

Fortunately most WF later production can be seen in the Galleries (much extended since I last looked) and the Auction Archive at www.whitefriars.org

Pete

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 01:53:55 PM »
Evans et al doesn't help much.   Â£200.00!*!*!   It is not written for collectors; Jackson is ten times more useful.   On the other hand, when it is useful it is very very useful.  I presume it is out of print, hence the amazing premium.

A pity they didn't co-operate more to complement each other.   Neither book provides any reference to the knobbly lampbase (the proper big chunky "I'm a lumberjack" one - not the rather pathetic 9612 vase conversion which would fall over if you started snoring).

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 01:13:41 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
...and the Auction Archive at www.whitefriars.org...

Looks useful but no reference to the copyright holders of the images!  Could create trouble for the owner of the site.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 04:54:00 AM »
Hi!
Did Whitefriars make this vases in a White and Wine Red spatter pattern?
I have a vase that I have mixed thoughts about. It was sold to me as Murano, but I have seen others with knobbs or prunts, as in this thread, attributed to Whitefriars. My vase is actually more organic than the ones I saw on the Whitefriars site (thanks for the link!), so I dont know about its attribution... Any thoughts?

It was 1 of the first art glass pieces I ever bought, and it was sent from the UK. I have pictures of it on my computer, not on the net, and dont know how to load them on here. I can email the pic to anyone who can help if that is better.

Thanks!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand