No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars knobbly vases  (Read 10363 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Whitefriars knobbly vases
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 08:54:40 AM »
Javier:

Most unlike anything I have seen attributed to WF, either in the flesh or in the two books.   Knobbly colour schemes from the 1964 WF trade catalogue page reproduced in Evans (the Museum of London book) were:
Streaky Brown, Streaky Green
Blue, Green, Ruby: (cased in clear crystal).
There may have been one or two other colours, but nothing deviating significantly from these two basic styles.

If you download IrfanView, all you need to do is:
1. Drag & Drop your camera image from Windows Explorer or My Computer into IV, or do it via the File menu,
2. Select cropping area using your mouse,
3. Edit - Crop Selection,
4. Image - Resize (keep Preserve aspect ratio ticked) to no more than w400 and h300 pixels,
5. File - Save As - try Save Quality at 70%, then adjust this until you have an output file around or less than a dial-up user friendly 30Kb in size.   With a plain background you should be able to get closer to 20Kb.
Once you have mastered that it is a simple job to upgrade to using clickable thumbnails of around 100-120 pixel dimensions - a really user friendly 2-3Kb in file size.

I hope that helps, Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 11:02:32 AM »
Hi Bernard,
Thanks for the info on the photos, but I have so many programs on this computer already, I don't think it can handle another one, lol. Also, I have tried others in the past and most are not compatible with MACs.
I am sure it will help the members of the site, so thanks for taking the time to explain it to us! :D

.... Just loaded the photo to my website, so if anyone can, please go to this page and scroll all the way down. There you will find the photo of my vase. You can enlarge it if you click on the image too.
http://www.svazzo.com/id3.html

Any help would be great! I've had it for a while and haven't really thought of asking anyone about it until now.
Thanks again!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 11:21:02 AM »
Javier:

Apols for assuming you were on Windows.   Your vase was almost certainly not made in the UK, at least I have never seen anything like it from a British glassworks.   I think you are quite right to concentrate on Murano, at least for starters.   I've checked Piña, Italian Glass C20, and there is nothing in there resembling it.

Happy New Year, Bernard C.  8)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »
Javier,

The colouring on your piece strikes me as Bohemian.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2004, 01:23:47 PM »
Javier:

I suggest you don't give up on Murano until you have a positive ID.   On our last two visits, Janet and I have seen "spatter" glass very much in evidence in the factory shops.   Don't know about the colours.   Frank is far more knowledgeable than me on that.  It is not a field that I take much notice of - there is so much to see on Murano and never enough time.

Bernard C.  8)

Anonymous

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 05:57:50 PM »
The vase attributed on the Svazzo website as "RARE! Triangular Shaped Vase with "Marletto" Design in White. Marletto Designs are often attributed to Archimede Seguso" is actually Czech rather than Murano. There was a discussion about these pieces on the Murano board.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 10:47:17 PM »
Thanks Frank!

So Bohemian is a likely source? I have to say I am so concentrated in Murano that haven’t had a look at that manufacturer yet.

Bernard...
I can discount WF for sure then? Ok, I'll try and search more on the Murano sites, and now Bohemian, to see what else I can find out. I havent seen this piece on any of the Piña books either.

For Guest...
Thanks for the comment on the Marletto style vase. I will check the Murano discussion board and see what I can find. Will make changes accordingly.

Thanks!
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 11:04:25 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
.... is actually Czech rather than Murano. There was a discussion about these pieces on the Murano board.

Hi Guest,
The change has been done! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I havent read all the posts on the boards, so if you have any other suggestions that have been brought up on attributions, let me know.
www.SVAZZO.com

Sklounion

Whitefriars? or Zemek?
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 10:18:58 PM »
Under advisement of my peers, and elders, I post this link: http://tinypic.com/18cg07
The image (hutnicky tvarovane vazy, 1954, Skrdlovice) by  Frantisek Zemek, photographer Jindrich Brok, is sourced from: Jiri Masin: "Frantisek Zemek", published by Nakladatelstvi Ceskoslovenkych Vytvarnych Umelcu, Praha 1963, and the image is the copyright of Jindrich Brok, or his heirs. At the request of the copyright holder this image will be immediately removed....This image was the reason for the original posting.
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand