No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1958 World fair expo vase  (Read 3427 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: 1958 World fair expo vase
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
a minor question from me as well.

Who is to say the label wasn't used after the exhibition?  Was there a rule about who used the stickers?  Did someone go round and specially stick them on the items in the expo pavilion, or... were each company allowed to use the stickers on their items thereafter, to denote they'd exhibited at the Expo 58?

It was 1958 - and, it is claimed, someone stole the Sputnik facsimile after all -so rules may not be rules.
Russia appears to have 'folded up' their pavilion and taken it home with them  :o  Amazing feat of engineering that.

From Wikipedia

'The USSR[edit]
The Soviet pavilion was a large impressive building which they folded up and took back to Russia when Expo 58 ended. They had a facsimile of Sputnik which mysteriously disappeared, and they accused the US of stealing it[citation needed]. They had a bookstore selling science and technology books in English and other languages published by the Moscow Press. On the exposition there was also a model of Lenin first nuclear icebreaker, and cars: GAZ-21 Volga, GAZ-13 Chaika, ZIL-111, Moskvitch 407 and 423, trucks GAZ-53 and MAZ-525.[8] The Soviet exposition was awarded with a Grand Prix.[8]'

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 09:38:48 PM »
Would everyone at the exhibition use the same logo like a football world cup event. I'm guessing they are all souvenirs.

To be honest, I don't really know anymore now. I only know the star shaped one, there's still plenty of Expo '58 stuff out here in Belgium and I always thought that  was the official one,  just Google Expo '58 logo. This is the first time I see a different one referring to the Expo,  obviously the logo in question only refers to the USSR and the Expo '58 logo isn't integrated into theirs, as far as I can see.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »
Anne I pm'd you about books, but couldn't find this thread at the time so didn't know which you had mentioned you already had.
Hope some were useful.

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
Thank you very much M  :-*

Offline sovglart

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Europe
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2022, 02:27:06 PM »
A while ago I've spent a lot of time searching for information about Expo-58 and one particular glass item from Soviet pavilion and had no success. Just tiny bits of information here and there and mostly basic. But I can say for sure that Gus-Khrustalny and Leningrad Factory of Glass Art had their glass there.

My guess is that maker of the first vase is Leningrad Factory of Glass Art. During that period of time they came up with a new way to make colourful glass and worked on methods of decoration, contrasting stripes that resemble venetian glass for example.

I have not seen this particular vase in any book or catalogue (from what I have access to) but it has something in common with Leningrad Factory of Glass Art "Watermelon" vase in my opinion. Each "Watermelon" was unique and majority had contrasting vertical or spiral stripes, in some cases very similar to OP spiral wide and narrow stripes or "brush strokes".

One 50s picture from Leningrad Factory of Glass Art has similar vases in it, which also suggests that they have worked on similar type of vase designs around that time.

"Watermelon" vases:  http://ftp.museum.ru/imgB.asp?87621
Pic from Leningrad factory of glass art, 1958: https://pastvu.com/p/1325880

Offline sovglart

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Europe
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2022, 02:31:45 PM »
Here is another chunky small  4 1/2 inch vase with the same logo on.

Regards Chris.

Here is the same vase: https://vazaspb.ru/catalog/?id=270
According to this website the maker is "Krasny Gigant" or Red Giant factory.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2022, 02:35:23 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing your reference sources and assistance in identifying these pieces :)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand