No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tutbury Crystal and Georgian Crystal  (Read 1250 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Tutbury Crystal and Georgian Crystal
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:50:39 PM »
Searching for something on Webb Corbett I came across this article today dated 2011:

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/end-era-tutbury-trade-hits-glass-ceiling/story-21544634-detail/story.html

I've taken some excerpts from the article for future reference.

'AS crippling fuel costs have forced one of Tutbury’s most well established family firms out of business, its closure heralds the end of more than 200 years of glass-making in the village.

Georgian Crystal’s announcement last week that it was to cease trading following three decades in business sent shockwaves through the community.'

and

'The workers have been at Georgian Crystal for 30 years, since they were made redundant from the Royal Doulton Webb and Corbett factory across the road.
“My dad did do it too,” Chris says, “but it was more about convenience, it was just across the road.”

He and Arthur were taken on at the factory as apprentices and were taught everything they know from scratch.

“There were about 150 men employed at Royal Doulton before they knocked it down to build houses." Chris says '

and

'Darron says: “My father was made redundant from Royal Doulton Webb and Corbett in 1980. He was the last person to leave the factory.

“He set up Georgian Crystal in 1981 and I came here when I left school. I came through from sweeping the floor to being managing director.”

Now the business is closing, 45-year-old Darron has found himself having to sign on.'

Glass workers names mentioned are:

Arthur Causer - glass blower
Chris Shaw - master glass maker
Darron Shaw - Managing Director
Mick Brunton - cutter

It also says:
'Five members of the same family work for the business — Darron, his father Peter, his uncle Chris, brother Mark, and mother Rosetta.'

Just in case the article link is lost at some point.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand