No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mold Blown Glass Decanter - Age?  (Read 906 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Mold Blown Glass Decanter - Age?
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:20 AM »
Hello,
would you think this is an old one, and if yes, how old? It has a chipped pontil mark, some seeds and stirations. Thank you for your thoughts!
Mat

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
Re: Mold Blown Glass Decanter - Age?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
Size is 18.5 cm.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »
hello Mat  -  thoughts is possibly about all you're going to get  -  bottles were made in unbelievable profusion just about everywhere - and shape wise this is not run of the mill, it's unusual, and not easy to pigeon-hole - believe the French did something that's referred to as a 'shoulder' - quite likely not British.         
Colour is possibly either turquoise or aquamarine possibly, which might suggest Bohemian or French.             Date wise it's a bit of a puzzle  -  doesn't look to be nouveau in design, yet could well be 1850 - 1920.
Can't see from your pix if there is any wear within the neck opening - evidence of a stopper - which obviously you don't have anyway - but wondering whether this might have been a carafe rather than a stoppered decanter - although believe most carafes were made without a disc rim, so this likely to be a stoppered bottle.                                  The disk shaped rim looks irregular which probably means lower quality.
Is there much base wear?

Let's hope others can offer better information.

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »
Thank you Paul, there is no wear in the neck, so maybe it is indeed rather a carafe.  On the base there is quite some wear. The colour is aquamarine I believe.
Regards, Mat

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 09:03:51 AM »
so many bottles remain without provenance/origin, which is possibly a reason a lot of people ignore them - so many designs and shapes and origins - it can be discouraging.
However, the colour of this one lifts it above the norm - it's an attractive piece and irrespective of the absent stopper makes for a decorative item in its own right - up on a shelf with one or two other blue ish pieces - perhaps with some subtle lighting. ;)
If the inside is dirty you could try the Magic Balls - they may well improve the clarity/brightness of the glass.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
My first thought was that this beauty is missing its tumbler/drinking glass to be placed upside down on top - securely held by the shoulder?
Known as bed-side water carafe.
Sorry, can't contribute regarding origin and age.
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
Pamela is possibly correct  -  in English these things were known as 'tumble ups' - 'carafe and tumbler' - 'guest water bottle and tumbler', and are now often missing their tumbler   -  date wise more likely to be c. 1880 ish to 1930s even.
They are sometimes decorated, but mostly just made in clear glass, so this one is a bit special.          If you try the Board's search you should find quite a bit of chat on the subject.

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »
Thank you Pamela and Paul, that theory sounds quite convincing!

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
None is exactly like yours, but this is how they looked: (german word is ' Sturzflasche ')

Bohemia:
Reich 1880 
Rindskopf 1915
Stölzle 1878

France:
Legras 1899
Choisy-Le-Roi 1916
LeBlanc 1897

Good luck in finding a matching tumbler and/or even the plate, however, if you study more of these catalogues on my pages you will notice, that these water carafes were always also offered as a single item - no stopper, no tumbler, no under-plate!  ;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Vielen herzlichen Dank Pamela! If I do not find a matching tumbler I will persuade myself that this piece never had one!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand