No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blown glass lamp base?  (Read 562 times)

Offline MjMglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Blown glass lamp base?
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:54:27 AM »
I would love help in identifying this lamp. Is it a kind of glassblowing? Is it a specific artist? I love this lamp and would like to find similar pieces. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Blown glass lamp base?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:24:42 AM »
First of all welcome to the board :)

I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure of the origin of your lamp but  it's certainly a lovely piece. In terms of technique it has more in common with paperweights than regular blown glass. I think the best way of identifying it would be to have a look at paperweight manufacturers. A quick image search on 'paperweight lamp' brings up several similar looking items, many of which are attributed to Joe St. Clair. I also saw another marked Gibson. No idea if either of these were responsible for your lamp but it at least gives you some names to look into.

This lamp was discussed on the ebay boards and has some similarities with yours: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Collectibles/St-Clair-Paperweight-Lamp/td-p/22969561
and here's an old auction listing again with a St. Clair attribution: http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1121-st-clair-paperweight-lamp-base-65004/

Best wishes,

Steven  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MjMglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »
Steven,
Thank you SO MUCH. I love knowing more about my lamps. I think they must be St. Clair (or beautiful copies). But of course now, I lust after the beautiful finials pictured on some of the lamps! :-)  I might have to move away from my depression glass obsession and start dreaming of St. Clair.

Thanks again,
MjM

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 07:37:23 AM »
Very pretty.  I think STEVEN hit it on the nose.  Googling some more I have these to pass on to you, CLICK HERE

Just some more to look at .......and some Reading *HERE
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand