No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown creamer/milk jug - ID = Henry Greener Reg. 381481 dated 25th May 1882  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
There is a trade mark low down on the inside, but it seems to have been a poor pressing, and although I think it's the Davidson lion, I suppose it might be Greener.           If it is Davidson, I certainly don't recognize the design but then again I'm not much good at pressed glass  -  according to the books the factory used the mark for only a shortish period - c. 1880/90  ............   so hoping someone here might have seen this design before  -  I like the rope and dot decoration under the foot.         Maximum height is about 4.75 inches - pity the foot has a crack.

with hindsight a great shame that these Davidson and Greener 'lion rampant' trade marks are so similar, especially when a pressing isn't sharp and difficult to see.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Possible Davidson creamer/milk jug.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
I can't find a match for this creamer in the Davidson catalogues of unregistered designs 1880-1890 (and neither is there a sugar bowl with the same pattern).

If it is a Greener design, then it's not one that I have come across before, though the 'busy' and intricate decorative pattern and the crispness of the pressing could well have come from Greener.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 06:30:23 PM »
thanks Fred.            I've now taken a Blu Tack impression, and I'm inclined to think it looks more like the Henry Greener trade mark which was used apparently c. 1875 - 85, the base bar looks thinner than the ramparts that the Davidson lion sits on.       Also since I can't see any halberd have assumed it's the earlier Greener mark.             

It is a very decorative piece, but I guess we shall have to put it down for now as unknown - possibly Greener.            thanks for looking.  :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 07:14:16 PM »
I've found it, Paul!

It is from Henry Greener's RD 381481, registered on 25 May 1882 - Parcel 12. I was thrown somewhat by the lack of a reference to a registry date lozenge and so was looking among their unregistered designs.

By rights, therefore, the tradmark should be the 1st demi-lion mark (without a halberd) used between 1875 and 1885.

This is not a common Greener pattern, and your creamer is the first example I have come across anywhere. Such a shame about the damage to the foot.

Please see attached photos of a comport and a dish from the design for comparison.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
congratulations Fred, very well done :)            Like you I had assumed it was an un-Registered design  -  well at least I got the trade-mark right in the end.
It is an attractive repeating pattern, and although the foot does have that crack, it's not overly obvious and doesn't spoil the appearance.     As I mentioned, the design appearing under the foot is a very nice touch, and shows the trouble they went to in making their moulds.

Anyway, thanks again for all your hunting, and if you would like this piece do let me know and I can post on to you.

Request to the Mods. please, to amend the subject heading to read  'Henry Greener Reg. 381481 dated 25th May 1882'.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »
Thank you for your kind offer, Paul, but fortunately I no longer necessarily have to own a piece to get pleasure from seeing it.

I will add copies of your pics to the GMB RD database in due course though (with a link to this topic and due credit to you) so that others may have the pleasure of seeing it too.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
sure  -  I know what you mean ..............   I do still occasionally buy pieces, like this, for posting on the Board, but almost always send them back to the charity shops pronto.      I've done the amassing glass thing, and you're right - we don't have to own them to get the interest.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
... I've done the amassing glass thing, and you're right - we don't have to own them to get the interest.

I find the problem with blown glass and that theory is that, if there is a query over something, it is imperative in many cases to be able to pick up the piece, examine closely how it might be made, weigh it in hand/on scales, check out whether the colour/technique really does match someone else's piece etc.  It requires owning it to be able to do that.  I wish I could just rely on photos but as soon as I sell something or give it away, I immediately need it to make a comparison with another piece :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand