No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Unusual' pink opalescent girasol antique creamer, facet cut, cased- show& tell  (Read 4480 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just adding for information -
 There is a pink bell with a gilded handle online.  It looks to be solid colour uncased (similar pink colour to the jug as it looks on the black background in reflected light).
It appears currently top left on this pinterest link (sorry I can't track the original source):
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/307018899574621326/
The handle is very similar to this one
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/20419660_tischglocke
which is described as Russian.
There is a Russian bowl in the Hermitage that is the same solid pink (uncased) glass.

I do not think the shape of the creamer is a Russian shape and the creamer is cased, unlike the bowl on stand in the Hermitage and the bell which is like the one I've linked to above.

I am still sure of my attribution as Buquoy so far.

Further information:

I believe the one in the Corning and the three others I've found, are different to those described as Agate glass or Agatin glass or 'stone glass' from Buquoy. 

The 'Agatin' glass or stone glass  appear to be solid coloured (whether created in layers of different colours I don't know).

For example Dr Fischer describes one here:

https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/9713661_24-an-agate-stone-glass-goblet-buquoysche-htten-geo

'An agate stone glass goblet Buquoy'sche Hütten, Georgethal or Silberberg, circa 1835 Purple, marbled, opalescent, cut and engraved glass with gold staffage. Friezes with acanthus, insects and blossom branches. 15.2 cm high This originally French aristocratic family came to Bohemia shortly before 1620. Stone glass was a glass of special strength, glance and impermeable to light and resembled more a precious stone than glass. The decoration of this type of glass was increased by gilding and cutting.'

The five I've linked to including the Corning piece are cased in transparent glass:
Corning purple goblet, beige goblet, blue goblet, grey greeny flakon, dark pink purple flakon (can't find link).
There do no appear to be any more around that I can find,that are made in this way with an opalescent opaline interior and then transparent exterior.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
On page 13 of this document from Walter Spiegl, I think (translation difficult  :-[ ) that he mentions these transparent over opalescent glass pieces.  It appears to say that they are similar to,  or made in the same way (?) as the French Gorge de Pigeon pieces, but it appears to me that he is saying that the necessity of the thickness of the glass for cutting and perhaps the transparent overlay means they lose some of their 'girasol' effect.  He mentions that in 1835 Buquoy exhibited in Vienna 'Agatin rosee-, Opal-,Opal margaritte-Glas'.

http://www.glas-forschung.info/pageone/pdf/lith.pdf

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This is a link to a
'Clear glass bottle covered with red glass, manufactured by Buquoy, before 1837. Bohemia, 19th century. Vienna, Technisches Museum (Technical Museum).
March 28, 2008 '

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/157412164

so they were using clear glass to case.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Similar pieces in the catalogue here (from CMOG) too: http://www.cmog.org/library/formen-preise-von-glaserzeugnissen-der-meyrschen-glasfabriken-adolf-leonorenhein-boehmen - this pinky shade seems to be one of their colours too, so worth exploring.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Anne, thank you.
Yes I have been looking at Adolfhutte glass and Meyr's but I can't get anything other than a one page on your link.  I have seen glass from Annathal as well that used a pale pink. It seems to be one of their colours as an overlay.  However, Spiegl refers in one of his documents, to some glass in Das Bohmische Glas BandII and appears to say it is all 'alabaster' glass not opaline glass, and seems to make the distinction that it is 'flat' and doesn't have a fiery colour to it.
However, I would like to explore further and I can't on your link  :-[ i'm signed in but it still only gives me one page?  Is that all there is do you know?  There are no items on that page that have similarities to the jug that I can see  :-\

Thanks
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
You should see a black DOWNLOAD button on the top right side of the screen, m, which lets you download the whole catalogue - I've done a screenshot of the page showing where the Download button is. Hope it helps. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
oh excellent thank you - I think I tried that before but my computer froze so nothing seemed to happen  ::) I have it now.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Fascinating - 1832-1841 and I am sure I'm right on my dating for the creamer, but no match.
However... there are some extremely interesting pieces on there!!  I have some other bits I'm researching and that is a real help.
Interestingly I'd come across a baby blue pair of perfumes that 'might' have been Annathal or Adolfhutte and had been wondering as they had some similarity with the creamer in some ways.  But they aren't on there.
(Also I have no idea if Adolfhutte is the same as Johann Meyr but I'm thinking it is.  I get so absolutely confused with the history of all these makers as their early 19th century names were different to their later names e.g. I 'think' Annathal became owned by Loetz?  I think... don't quote me. 

Thanks so much.  That's a wonderful resource.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
1) This piece is a Buquoy becher described as '...ruby glass marbled with opal ...'

Note the stripes on the glass

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/99/f7/48/99f748e4ae10af0c531b6b4cc3411b72.jpg

I've  many pictures of the jug with the 'opal' stripes showing although they are less obvious against the pink but have added a photo for comparison.

Note also that the becher is described as 'ruby glass'.

2) This perfume flakon I linked to earlier is also a Buquoy piece, also described as 'agathin (ruby glass marbled with opal), layered with colourless glass, ...'

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/cd/db/2c/cddb2cf2a7188ab4c5f81d6ffa1498d8.jpg
This piece is also described as ruby glass.  And it is indeed cased in 'colourless glass' (as I queried it might be, earlier in the thread) and as is the jug.

Source: Buquoy Glass in Bohemia 1620-1851 u(p)m pp79

3) In addition if you look at the picture I've attached of the jug,  you can see the effect of the opaline (agathin) interior and the effect where it ends at the bottom inside the cased glass.
This is the same effect as that observed on the pieces I have linked to previously - one example being this one:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/30/7c/98/307c98a8ff84453b55f1adf482d1c516.jpg

I also feel convinced that the design of the cut 'shoulder' and the design of the faceted 'skirt' mimic the design of the fussbechers.  I have not found similar in other makers goblets. 

The very large polished pontil mark base that covers almost the entire base, also matches the description of the transparent covered, agatin-opal fussbecher in the Corning:
'Composite foot consisting of a base disc with polished concave underside, '

This together with the girasol effect and the marbled opaline pink interior cased in clear, makes me pretty sure this is a Buquoy piece of glass.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
There are many similarities in the panel cutting and design with this piece in the Moravia Galerie:

http://sbirky.moravska-galerie.cz/images/diela/MG./55/CZE_MG.U_20018/CZE_MG.U_20018.jpeg

I think it is dated 1830s (datace:   30. léta 19. stol.;inventární číslo:   U 20018;
místo vzniku:   Čechy)

Possibly 1830s for the pink dichroic creamer.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand