No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Mistake but don't tell the Missus!  (Read 1991 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Archimede Mistake but don't tell the Missus!
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »
Hi All, I was watching this piece by AS and would not pay the asking price until my partner said why don't I contribute to it for your Christmas present? I was delighted ordered it from Japan and sat there chewing my fingernails hoping it did not get damaged.

It turned up and I did not have the guts to tell her that it is a copy and a pretty poor one at that.

About 12" (300mm) high, weighs a lot and at first glance on the internet I thought it was 'right' and the signature looked good. Comparing it to a real one (3rd image) from my collection there is no way AS would let something looking like this out of his workshop.

It remains on display but every time I look at it I feel a little sick.

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Archimede Mistake but don't tell the Missus!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »
what is the differences that you see between them?
The first one looks pretty and just a different design to me.  Is it not as accomplished?  not as neatly executed?

Is there a difference in weight between them?

It's a horrid feeling when you've bought something not quite right.  I've done that twice recently and wouldn't mind except they were both more than I'd usually pay for something.  Hey ho.

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
I take it it would be far too complicated and expensive to complain about having been sold a fake?
You should be able to return it without loss to yourself, although I know this rarely happens in practice.

I think we all have to deal with at least one disaster like this in collecting, same as we have to accept the odd breakage. :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:46:26 AM »
Hi Guys thanks for the notes.

I wrote to him 2 days ago and told him it was a copy and he wrote back saying he did not realise and that he had taken the other A.S vase. he is selling ($1100) off ebay. As of this morning it is still there.

Regarding the copy have a close look at the genuine piece and the sharpness of the cords that are wrapped around it, then look at the clear glass and note the difference. The cords on the copy are not straight and the top when looked at from one side is not sitting square on the vase. I have seen large versions of my genuine vase but not this style, this does not look like any genuine piece I have seen. Will try to post the signature as this is what convinced me it was real.

I suspect the seller knows these are copies and does not give a stuff or else he would have taken the other one off.

Never seen copies this size and amazed I got done. Very frustrating but as you say happens when you don't get to handle then first. Would have loved to get my money back but Alison would be upset as it was a present from her.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 03:00:26 AM »
Just one more thing. I can't return it as it is beyond the 30 days ebay allows.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
 :'( Oh well.
It might be a lemon, but it is still something Alison very kindly decided to help you own.
When you look at it, think of her kindness and caring for you, not the sourness of the fake.  :)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 09:29:04 PM »
Chopin, you are playing that piano again and bringing a tear to a cynical, old man's eye.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand