No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Australia Paperweight?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Australia Paperweight?
« on: July 26, 2006, 05:57:35 PM »
I was out garage selling last weekend and came upon this paperweight.  She said she purchased it in Australia.  I'm not familiar with any Australian paperweight makers!  So, I'm throwing this out to anyone who might know.  Its probably from China, but just checking...........

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2662
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2661
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2660

Nancy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Australia Paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:53:34 PM »
Hi Nancy,

I only recall a couple of concerns in Australia making paperweights.

Certainly "Cape Buron Hot Glass". I have only ever seen one item from them and it was marked CBHG. It was an abstract but with silverwork layered on the top.

Also there were two (a pair, I suppose) flat "stones" decorated in an aboriginal style and colouring. Unfortunately I cannot find those examples in my database.

None of the above looked like the weight you show. But that dosn't mean it was not made in Australia.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Australia Paperweight?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:16:01 PM »
Thanks Kev.  I have a question in general about air bubbles.  I know that there are controlled bubbles in some paperweights, but in the paperweights that don't have them in their design and have them through the process of making a paperweight, is this considered to be okay and not diminish price value or the less air bubbles the better quality and therefore higher price value.  Just wondering.  
Nancy

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Australia Paperweight?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:33:28 PM »
The effect of unintended air bubbles on price and desirability depends to a large extent on their number, position and size.

It's a bit like the discussion on what might constitute a "seconds" item. Some unintended bubbles are obviously just a feature of where canes rest against each other and that sort of thing, if not too obvious in normal viewing will not chage the general price or the desirability for most folk.

But if just a single unplanned bubble sits in high in the dome and to one side, it may be a distraction and have a negative effect on sales.

I have a couple of weights that are full of unintentional bubbles. There is no way I would have paid the regular price for them and they do not often get seen by other folk. But for me they added something to my collection so I was happy to take them.

Even some of my Paul Ysart weights have an occasional stray bubble, but not so bad that it caused the dealers to reduce the price. :D
KevinH

Offline Nancy128

• Members
    • USA
Australia Paperweight?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 08:42:43 PM »
Yes, I read that "seconds" thread and decided not to asked that question during the heated discussion.  In fact, I waited a day for it to settle down before I listed this paperweight question.   :oops:  8)   Thanks again for answering my simple newbie question.
Nancy

Offline Nadine

• Members
    • Paperweights24.com
Australia Paperweight?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 09:29:48 PM »
I´ve seen  some paperweights of this style with the same colours in the bohemian forrest, but I have no idea if they where also made there, as they where sold at the tourist office  :shock:

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Australia Paperweight?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 02:49:29 AM »
Sorry to blow the numbers out of the water but I have a collection of 93 paperweights that I believe (or am certain) are Australian.  They represent c. 60 makers - some signatures I can not identify just yet - but I am still trying.

Almost all makers mark their weights on the base so I am certain that your weight is indeed Chinese.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand