No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Federal Glass Copper Shield  (Read 4082 times)

Offline retiredsoldier13460

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage Glassware
    • United States
Federal Glass Copper Shield
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:35:58 PM »
I recently picked up this very neat piece of Federal Glass History and would like to know if anyone may shed any light on it.

When was it Made ??
Is it an Advertising Item or a Paperweight ??
Is it Copper or Bronze ??

It is solid, weighs 10 ounces and measures: 2 1/2" tall x 2 3/16" wide x 5/8" thick.
I have searched the internet and can only locate it on replacements.com.
I greatly appreciate any help you may offer.
I have attached photos that may assist you.
Thank you,
Gary

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Federal Glass Copper Shield
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »
Interesting piece but you may have better luck on the Depression Glass forum chataboutdg.com

Offline Flex1968

• Members
    • Carnival Glass
    • USA
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
Searched and found conflicting information. These seem to be a bit uncommon/HTF....

One on Worthpoint where the Seller advertised it as "The Federal Glass Company Shield Paperweight. This paperweight from the 1940's is made of solid bronze."

Found another on Etsy where the Seller advertised it as "The Federal Glass Co. Dealer's Display Advertising Paperweight Solid Copper Shield with Trademark F Logo Very Rare & Hard to Find. Vintage item from the 1950s."

On Replacements.com it is called an Advertising Sign, and they note it as being copper.

Also found a 12-page .pdf paper from the Society for Historical Archaeology that states "At some point, Federal commissioned a brass paperweight, undoubtedly as an advertisement" and has a photo like yours. [I definitely do not believe this piece is brass]

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
Copper is much softer than bronze but as this is quite thick that will not help much. If you scratch the back and the colour underneath is a rich copper orange then assume copper, if the colour is a yellow gold than brass. Brass would be more likely in my opinion as it is more durable.

John

Offline Flex1968

• Members
    • Carnival Glass
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »
I doubt that durability was considered very highly on their list of desired attributes for a paperweight, but it would probably have been cheaper to produce, lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand