No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What would this very large glass be used for ........ ?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: What would this very large glass be used for ........ ?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
I have a clear modern goblet that is even taller than this, completely impractical for drinking out of, but I keep it handy in the kitchen for catching butterflies and bees that get in and need caught carefully before release outside.
(Trap the insect under the glass, slip a bit of cardboard under and off you go outside.)
It's useful for getting very large arachnids out of the house too. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 01:01:20 PM »
Hey, how do you know I have knobbly knees ?  :o it's true I'm afraid !

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
gosh, you can see who are the better educated here  -  they don't say spiders ;D ;)                I notice the wasps are starting to make themselves conspicuous - I'd have killed them once, but now in my dotage am becoming more humane and simply open the window for them to fly away.
Bertrand Russell said that all living creatures in the universe have an equal right to live  -  but I say the squirrels don't ;) 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »
It's useful for getting very large arachnids out of the house too.
Very large arachnids in the UK are normally either house spiders or harvestmen - both of which when put outside will simply go back inside, where they are comfortable. So best to leave them in the house - no need to expend energy and ingenuity trying to get rid of them.  :)
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
probably true.                    I wonder why butterflies should be in the kitchen - I don't recall ever seeing one there  -  the odd moth or two maybe, especially in the summer when they're attracted to light.................   perhaps they were large moths Sue?? ;D ;)

A short and probably boring story for everyone else    ..........    during a very brief burst of sunshine one mid October, I noticed a brimstone butterfly settle into a box bush in the front garden  ............    a species who's life cycle does include overwintering as mature insect.         Every few days or so until the following mid March, I went and peered at this individual - and it sat motionless for the entire five months - through snow, rain and gales.
Until a brief burst of sunshine, when I wasn't looking, obviously made it leave  -  and I felt so sad having been on almost personal terms with this thing for so long      ...........   all together ....     aghhhhhhhh ;D
This should be in the café...

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 08:03:31 AM »
Yes, Paul, I guess it should  :P
I really don't mind spiders, personally, as I am rather gigantic in comparison, although I wouldn't like to have one of those Huntsman show up in my bathroom! (yes I know they are not poisonous,  nor indigenous to the UK,  ;D but I would still run a mile!)  8)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 11:53:38 AM »
Some arachnids are just too big to have in the house. The sort that would make a squidgy mess inbetween the toes if stood upon accidentally.
They might well come back in. If they stay out of sight they get left alone. If they're in my face, they get put outside. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »
sorry, I don't know of these huntsman spiders - where do they come from Della  -  but I think Snow White was grateful to see a huntsman ;)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »
Australia, Paul, and they are mahoosive!!   ::) ::)
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand