No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help - "V." Signature on paperweight  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Chrissy-g

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass paperweights
    • United States
ID help - "V." Signature on paperweight
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
Hello!  Trying to ID this glass weight from my family collection - it is marked with a green "V." as seen in this photo...Any help would be greatly appreciated - this is driving me a little batty :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: ID help - "V." Signature on paperweight
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »
HI Chrissy
I have had a couple of weights with this V signature on them and, like you, I am mystified as to who this is. Here is one of them advertising Whitefriars Glass and the V is just below the word English. If ever you find out dp please let me know
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 04:43:06 PM »
The paperweight has a decal on a white enamel plaque.  Tom Mosser of Cambridge Ohio was known to make paperweights this way using decals created from known works of art.  He usually signed his weights with an M.  His company, Variety Glass, was formed about 1960-1961 and originally had some partners.  I suspect this was made during the early period when the company was still in a state of flux as the result of several fires.  The floral decoration was done by Ray Bichard who also decorated Degenhart plaques. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Chrissy-g

• Members
    • glass paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »
Thank you, Allan!  I had thought it was a Mosser because it was so like some others with the "M".  I thought the V might mean "Variety Glass" but I can only find mention that there was Variety Glass and not what their mark might have been.  I've looked up Ray Bichard as well, as I know he did work for both Mosser and Degenhart, but kept coming up empty.  I would love to find some documentation somewhere - do you know of any resources?  Thank you again!

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19:26 AM »
I am speculating on the V signature being Variety.  But the floral design is definitely by Bichard.  That kept me coming back to Degenhart (who did not do decal weights to my knowledge) and Mosser (who did).  Melvin's book on American Glass Paperweights and their makers is the only source I have.  Gary McClanahan published newsletters on many makers in alphabetical order.  I can't find my copy -- but maybe someone else could check the entry for Variety.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Offline Chrissy-g

• Members
    • glass paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
Thank you - I would appreciate if someone could check that entry.  Melvin's book is the one I've gotten most of my information from - along with the weights that I've inherited were some books and some personal records, while I won't keep a lot of them, before I let them go, I do like to research them and find out what they are.  The records I have just call this a paperweight with a V, USA.  I hadn't heard of those newsletters, were they published under his name or a club name?  I see by searching he published "The Printy" but can't find anything more - thank you!

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:55:36 PM »
check with Mosser Glass. Tim Mosser, Tom's son and his sister still run both companies and probably have a lot of info on Variety. I have several that are signed with the M that he custom made for me.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 07:59:09 PM »
Hi Chrissy-g and Allan

I have checked my copy of Gary's listing (all 64 pages of it!), there is NO entry for Variety Glass

The only mention of Variety is under Tom Mosser,  where Variety and and Mosser Glass Inc. are listed as factory associations.

Under Ray Bichard, the description is: Painted designs, scenes, nameplates for encasement - there is no mention of a "v" signature only RB, Bichard, D for Degenhart and  M for Mosser.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Derek

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:11 PM »
Thanks Derek.  There is no doubt in my mind that this is Bichard's hand on the floral work.  I'm still of the opinion that this is a Mosser paperweight.  But I have never seen another with the V mark. 

Offline Chrissy-g

• Members
    • glass paperweights
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »
Thank you Derek!  I really appreciate you're checking this.  I wonder if I wrote to Mosser, if they could shed some light on this?  I do agree, it does absolutely look like Ray Bichard's work in my inexperienced eye.  Thank you both!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand