No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Young & Hodgson Reg. 711903 dated 23.03.1925  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Young & Hodgson Reg. 711903 dated 23.03.1925
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
The Blue Book shows three Reg. Nos. for this date.........  711901/2/3, although this piece carries only 711903.            Whether the other two Nos. also relate to this item I've no idea, and equally no idea at the moment whether 711903 protects the cut design or shape of this vase  -  will have to wait until Kew provides the answer - I suspect it's the shape only, but could be wrong.                 The cutting is attractive and a little unusual insofar as it's part geometric and part freehand and could possibly be art deco in style, good quality and with sharp edged remaining.              Height is about 6.75 inches (about 170 mm), and there's substantial wear on the underside of the foot.

I know nothing of the Registrant or whether they were manufacturers, but they do seem to have been fairly active around the mid 1920 period.
Have we previously had any of their Registered items on the Board?              They may well have been distributors, wholesalers or perhaps agents.

If anyone has additional related information and is able to add to this post it would make for more interest - thanks. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Young & Hodgson Reg. 711903 dated 23.03.1925
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »
I should look before shouting, obviously         http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58378.msg330696.html#msg330696

Probably a dead end in view of the comments etc. in this link, but useful at least to have a picture of the relevant Reg. No., and I shall add further information as and when I've been to Kew.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 01:01:34 PM »
Thank you for posting these pics, Paul.

I will add them to the GMB RD database shortly, and I look forward to seeing the pics from Kew in due course.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:15:02 PM »
these Registrations include more images relating to such few Nos. than I've ever seen, and there's possibly some danger of confusion - so I propose to split Nos. 711901 and 711902 off, and make them the subject of a separate post.           I appreciate this subject heading doesn't mention either of them, but they are discussed below and splitting them away will make life easier for me  ..............   this will be appreciated when the full extent of the 'suite' for 711903 is seen.

Perhaps the Mods. will be kind enough to include - in the notes below - wording to the effect that the first two Nos. are to be found separately, elsewhere, under Young & Hodgson.     thanks. :)            In my separate post for the first two Nos. I'll cross-reference to No. 711903 here.

Details and images for Rd. 711903 will be added tomorrow -  right now I have square eyes. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
images then for Rd. 711903  ............   again pix are poor, don't like this blue, as least with white outlines for the glass, but must make the best of things.
There are sixteen separate shapes in total for this Registration .....  Salad bowl  -  cream jug  -  jug  -  rose bowl  -  pickle jar  -  oil bottle  -  trinket tray  -  powder box  -  candlestick  -  ring stand  -  pomade bowl  -  scent bottle  -  celery  -  sugar bowl  -  flower vase  -  honey jar, and all pieces show a pattern of floral spray plus a pyramid shape made up of cut mitres.             Does anyone know of another single Registration covering as many separate shapes?

the celery is shown above, and as already suggested I'd imagine that, like the celery, the decoration on all the above pieces is cut.   Perhaps Fred can say if we've have other shapes, in the flesh, previously.          Quite like the base cut on the salad bowl.

So  -  here are the first three shapes   ...............  salad bowl, base of salad bowl, cream jug, jug  ..........   others to follow.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »
here are .....   rose bowl - pickle and oil bottle - trinket tray - powder box.                I'd have thought that it was likely one of the girls perhaps had seen examples of some of the trinket pieces.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »
another four    ........  candlestick - ring stand  -  pomade bowl  -  scent bottle.                the remainder tomorrow.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 07:09:52 PM »
Paul, thank you very much for all your efforts in getting this batch of design representation together.

As far as I am aware, the celery vase is the only actual example of a shape from RD 711903 that I have seen.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »
thanks Fred  -  you'd think that with such a profusion of shapes - especially the trinket items - that we'd have seen something on the Board before.
I'm tempted to think that Y. & H. didn't really have a handle on glass, and perhaps misjudged the market, or simply lacked interest in their own products.

Mistake on my part  -  there are in fact a total of 17 separate shapes  -  in my list above I've now realized that I missed out the additional sugar bowl  -  hadn't seen that there were two shapes, both footed and non-footed examples.             However, the numbering of 16 pix remains correct, since I had two items - the pickle and oil bottle on one photograph.

coming back to the celery - I notice that the cutter looks to have used some artistic licence, and my example has some variations compared to the Registration picture.

So, five more now ready for posting, which means the honey jar will flip over to the next post.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
and the honey jar............

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand