No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: AVeM amber swirl vase with applied leaves and flowers. Blue & Silver Label  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Kerrie789

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian Art Glass
    • United States
I wanted to share my first piece of AVeM glass. I'm excited to have found it! It is an amber swirl vase with applied leaves and flowers on two sides. There is a blue and silver label that I didn't find in labels section here. Feel free to use my picture if you'd like to put it in your files. I'm not finding anything like this by AVeM in my searches. Is there any way to determine age and/or designer? Thanks!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Anita has an example in red at her Murano zoo and writes "Label came in red, blue, or green. Used from late 1940-60s."

Scroll down a little, left hand side: https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/useful-links-books/murano-labels#

I would not have guessed at Avem, having seen similar flowers to yours before a couple of times, first on this comport:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,51683.0.html

Then on this lovely bird, I had assumed Salviati too but now...?

John

Offline Kerrie789

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Victorian Art Glass
    • United States
I see the label, thank you very much! The other glass is beautiful, and the flowers look the same as my vase. Fascinating! I wonder if they are all AVeM. It is very fortunate that this vase still had the label. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Could be but it is risky making attributions based on a single characteristic like that.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
The label looks very much like it's been removed at some point in the past - whether just to place it somewhere less conspicuous on the original piece or to transplant it to a different item entirely, it's impossible to tell.

With a lack of similar known AVeM pieces, should the label be taken at immediate face value?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Interesting, good point Nic, the label does look a bit squished on the one side. If not Avem then perhaps the same maker as the bird.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand