No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fake Northwood Peacocks on Fence Bowls  (Read 6581 times)

Offline marie anne

• Members
Fake Northwood Peacocks on Fence Bowls
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
Thought I should share these pictures as I'm feeling a bit sad after being excited to buy these 2 Peacocks on the Fence bowls.  I'm pretty new to carnival glass but when I started looking at the bowls in detail they just looked too clean.  I've read Glen's posts from 2005/2006 and read that the bold N is a bit of a giveaway.  If anyone would like to tell me I'm wrong and the bowls are genuine then I'll be overjoyed, but I think they're fake  ???.  At least they were cheap but I should have remembered that if it seems too good to be true then it probably is!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Fake Northwood Peacocks on Fence Bowls
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »
I see nothing wrong.  :)

Clean carnival items are everywhere - they usually wash up well - especially if a soft brush has been used around connections for feet etc.  I use a Northwood bowl for fruit. Works as it was intended.
KevinH

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I would be happy if you're right about nothing to worry about.  By too clean I meant not enough wear.  Maybe they've just been well looked after and I'm being paranoid.  I'd also read that the N on the base should be underlined or in a circle, it's just an N on my bowls. 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »
I really should think before making comments. ::)

As you say, there is no underline with the N. And my thoughts on "clean" are obviously one-dimensional. I should stick to what I know best - which is not a lot.  8)
KevinH

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »
I know almost nothing about carnival glass so I welcome your input.  I would love to be convinced that they're ok but as my mum says 'I hae ma doots'.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:48:08 AM »
They don't look right to me: style of base seems wrong and I seem to recall the correct Northwood mark should be underlined. Glen has more info here: http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/northwood-fakes.html

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
Thanks for the link.  I agree the mark seems wrong.   :(

Offline Flex1968

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Carnival Glass
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
Hi, marie anne.

Yes, unfortunately, those are fakes and likely Chinese.
A few points/giveaways that confirm:
Not an underlined N in a circle; collar base too thick/heavy; the poor, one-dimensional quality of the iridescence combined with the exceptional 'shine' of the glass around the edges; and small differences in their pattern as compared to the original.
Plus I am betting that the overall glass thickness and weight are not right for a period piece.

Best regards

Offline marie anne

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
Thanks for confirming their fakeness...  So what to do with them?  Glass recycling bin? I would just donate them to a charity shop but I don't even want to give them away as they are in case they get sold on and dupe another Carnival Glass newbie like me.   :-[

Offline Flex1968

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Carnival Glass
    • USA
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
Good question.....wish I could offer a good answer!

Those of us who appreciate original, vintage Carnival Glass wish that all the fakes could be removed from the market, but such is not possible.
Even if it were, some enterprising individual or group would simply produce more.    :-\

Fill them with candy and donate to an assisted-living facility, or the like?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand