No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I went to Prague and it stole my heart  (Read 1970 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I went to Prague and it stole my heart
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:00:10 PM »
Had an amazing week in Prague.  What a truly beautiful city in all ways. We walked for hours every day.
Family in tow so didn't get to see much glass, but saw a couple of 18th century small collections in two antiques shops and also popped into the Dorotheum and looked all their lovely glass for sale.
I wandered round the Moser shop in the old town square and the glass was stunning (the shop is in one of the pink and white buildings in front of the church in the picture)

I now know why I love early 19th century Bohemian glass so much.  The whole city was like a perfectly formed and decorated 'becher'.  Everything about it was utterly beautiful and mesmorising.  Also managed see and hear some great music as well, so it was perfect.

The stained glass window is by Alphonse Mucha and in St Vitus.

If you get a chance, do go and visit.  I wish we'd had longer to be able to go and explore the country more.

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: I went to Prague and it stole my heart
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
It is a great city with a fantastic variety of architecture, I enjoyed the range of music too. Not been since 1991 but while there I extended my stay for a few extra days. Sadly I had little interest in glass at the time!

John

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 01:39:01 AM »
Try and get an invite to the 13th IGS International Glass Symposium in 2018 in Novy Bor. I was there for it many years ago and it is a gathering of international glass artists that is phenomenal. It is about a 4-5 day event with lots of glassmaking and other associated venues. It will be something you will never forget. I stayed in Prague for a few days during that trip and loved it as well. The year I was there, there were glass artists from over 20 different countries besides Czech artists.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
That sounds good :)

I really want to go back, particularly to spend some time in the museums looking at the collections.

m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
Yes, Prague is beautiful. But so many tourists.
I went there the first time in 1988, and then again in 2015/16 -- quite a difference...

Next time you have to visit Kolvenova fleamarket! - One of those wild east European markets where you might find the weirdest things all layed out on the ground ;)

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:51:51 PM »
yes the tourists  :o  Well, we were there Monday to Friday and it was lovely, not that many tourists.  However by Friday evening, wow! unbelievable numbers of people.  However ... I like that ;D  I like busy/bustling so for me that was good. Oh and it was Easter as well.  So lots of markets and food and decorations - wonderful.

Looking forward to Vienna! and Graz :) I will email you.

m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »
Please do! :D
(expect busy / bustling in Vienna as well).

Michael

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:11:08 PM »
I have sent a message to your envelope on the side :)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand