No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery item, maybe nozzle with (Rd) number  (Read 3348 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Mystery item, maybe nozzle with (Rd) number
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »
Wondering about the function of this nozzle like item, it appears to have a bayonet style fitting groove so maybe it fits into a holder. Around 5cm tall with what I assume is an Rd number - 513969. 

Any thoughts?

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Mystery item, maybe nozzle with (Rd) number
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 03:41:51 PM »
the No. you quote John - assuming correct - would date to mid October 1907, but unfortunately isn't shown in Jenny Thompson.      Reasons for omission might be...........    you have the No. wrong, or it might be one of the strays that found its way into CLASS IV, but since you do have a No. on the glass, then it must be the glass that was the subject of the protection.

As for use  -  how about an item of dressing table kit, and perhaps you're missing the metal atomizer part.           Sugar shakers were sometimes made in cranberry, but not with a nozzle as restricted as this one, I don't think.

EDITED TO ADD.........   of course had I looked at all of your pix first I would have realized that the No. is probably too large to be misread. :-[
I shall be at Kew next week, and if you don't have the answer before then, I'll have a look at this one.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:35:04 PM »
Thanks Paul, I have two of them, accurate size is a bit less than 2½ inches (6cm), slight variation between the two. Defo 513969, both are clearly marked.

Both are chipped around the nozzle end, glass has the odd bubble and there is a blob of ash in one. In terms of size they could be a small salt and pepper with the bayonet fitting to attach a base, kind of reinventing the wheel though.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:53:48 PM »
They look like they would push down and twist lock into place, bayonet fitting of some sort, maybe for icing or some form of paste to be squeezed out the end, i thought they were pie funnels at first glance this morning.

Could be early car or bike light bulb covers similar to modern brake lights.
Chris Parry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
They have a hole at the pointy end, too easy for water to get in, that rules out a bulb use to me. They are cut too, quite decorative.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 11:20:53 PM »
might they have had some form of cord or light cable threaded through them?
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:51 AM »
Is there a hole in the base as well as the top, John? I can't quite make the base out...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 08:09:43 AM »
Yes a large hole in the base Anne.

Too narrow for cable, I could see cord running through them but it seems like an odd arrangement for that.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
There are two in the next fieldings sale lot 437 with cork stoppers clear glass similar cutting and look hand blown described as "late 19th century bitters shakers.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:05:46 PM »
that could make sense - although I've never seen anything similar...........    It must be the glass design that was Registered, and very good chance that the No. ended up in CLASS IV.   Will have to wait and see.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand