No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery item, maybe nozzle with (Rd) number  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Coupsdestylo

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Mystery item, maybe nozzle with (Rd) number
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »
I'm with the oldglassman about it not being a bitters bottle, Your bitters bottle is really fabulous and would be at home in any good vintage bar or museum.
It really looks like a nozzle though, throwing a thought on the fire, apothecarys shops used to be a bit more cafe-ish with a culture of come and consume, I can imagine this nozzle on one or more of the many ingredient vessels, a drop of aqua mirabilis from a small fancy container with a ruby like nozzle would certainly put up the price and make the consumer think they were getting a special medicine.
It certainly would restrict flow so am thinking dropper nozzle.
Loving this tread. I really don't know what it is but it's the finding out that's the fun

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »
You might enjoy browsing oldglassman's website.  :)

https://www.adamsonantiques.com/
(sorry for going a bit OT)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
and if you don't want to know the answer, look away now please.

Described in the Board of Trade Register (at TNA) as a 'Salt Sprinkler (cruet like)'  -  CLASS IV as I thought, and there obviously was a metal frame of sorts although this not shown or described in sufficient detail to really get an idea of its appearance.            The Registrant appears to have traded as silversmiths, with their address as Holborn in London.              CLASS IV was specifically for pottery and ceramics  -  quite why some of these things ended up there is a mystery, unless the idea was to hide the design from prying eyes.

The similarity of the design of John's - compared to the larger Fieldings pair -  is striking (albeit without the indent for the metal frame on Fieldings)  -  and all three are very unlike Peter's bitters bottle.      Are we tempted to think Fieldings may have mis-described theirs, or is that being unkind. ;)?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
Thank-you for all that effort and for the answer, Paul.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
thanks Sue :-*    ....   what was it the A Team used to say  .........    "I like it when a plan comes together" ;D           I guess this one should now be moved to British.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
Absolutely fantastic Paul, really appreciate the work involved thank you. Interesting that the groove is not shown in the registration and it turns out they really were re-inventing the wheel. Love the diagram with the various materials labelled, metal, cork and glass. :D

On reflection it would have been a problematic way of holding a liquid, a granulated powder makes more sense, fewer issues with leakage and no doubt cleaning too.

Ok, who has got a pair of the original holders available then? ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand