No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large, heavy pink/clear dish/bowl - help with origin. ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 7122 times)

Offline acabitto

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Hello all - and greetings from me, a new member of the board. Was suggested over on the antiquers forums that I might find some assistance here identifying this piece. Glass has become more interesting to me recently but I still know very little, so thanks in advance for any information. I recently bought this piece at a thrift shop. It is about 17" long, about 7" wide, about 3 inches high, and weighs over 8 pounds. It is unsigned and not marked as far as I can tell. There is a small sticker with a handwritten "65€"(I think) on the underside. The folks at the antiquers site seem to think it is probably mid century Czech. Sklo was suggested as a possible maker. I have more pictures available. Thanks!

~

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Large, heavy pink/clear dish/bowl - help with origin.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
Hello and welcome,

A possibility is Val St Lambert.

A similar model here https://www.labrocantedemarine.com/fr/objet/coupe-allonge-en-val-saint-lambert to compare it with.
Pieces by VSL from the 60ies were not always signed, so it's perfectly normal not to have one. Would it be possible to post an image with a clear background please?

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »
Hello and welcome,

A possibility is Val St Lambert.

A similar model here https://www.labrocantedemarine.com/fr/objet/coupe-allonge-en-val-saint-lambert to compare it with.
Pieces by VSL from the 60ies were not always signed, so it's perfectly normal not to have one. Would it be possible to post an image with a clear background please?

Yes, it looks exactly like this Val Saint Lambert piece! I will attempt to get a few pictures with a plain background this evening. Thank you so much.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »
This model is called 'Radeau' and if i'm not mistaken, it's from 1962. Please do post another, clearer picture whenever you've got a spare minute please.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:31:02 PM »
It was already in the 1956 catalogue.

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 11:05:28 PM »
This model is called 'Radeau' and if i'm not mistaken, it's from 1962. Please do post another, clearer picture whenever you've got a spare minute please.

Thank you so much again for the additional information - here are a few more photos - hopefully clearer:

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 11:30:43 PM »
Ye, I guess we can be confident in saying it's VSL, dating from the 50/60's, part of the series 'Pièces de Fantaisie Modernes' or 'Les Tordus', which stands for 'The Twisted'. This piece might not be twisted as much, but the vases from these series are and were made in very large quantities due to their popularity at the time.It lead to overproduction of these series, basically VSL had put all of their eggs in the same basket, but once the demand went down, it lead to financial difficulties and eventually bankruptcy and temporary closure. The government stepped in and took over but the company never recovered to it's previous state.

Pieces like this are nowadays more popular abroad then they are here in Belgium. Having said that, it is an impressive piece due to its size and weight but technically not the best example. I guess due to it's bold colour and size it could be called a statement piece? I've come across this word a few times now, not really knowing what it stands for but I like it and it sounds rather positive.

Offline acabitto

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:08:28 AM »
Thank you so much Anne - I am very grateful for the assistance. There certainly is a lot to learn!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »
 :)
I think you've got the right idea about what is a "statement piece".
It's something that just cannot be ignored.  ;D
It's often positive, but it doesn't have to be. ;)
Somebody who likes something and somebody who doesn't, can both agree that it is a "statement".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand