No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Show and tell....Identified, but what is it? - ID = Jan Cerny  (Read 1657 times)

Offline eglass

• Members
Hi you all, it's been a long time since I visited!

This is the first bunch of folks I wanted to share this with, after all the help I've found here over the years. 

Yesterday I attended yet another estate sale, that was about the 3rd on my list and I was getting weary of seeing lots of Made in China stuff and other new glassware. I started looking at the tables near the kitchen, which were the closely guarded ones with the pieces that the estate sale company considered the most valuable....and found a couple of pieces of chipped Lalique (still $$$) and some other overpriced stuff.

I started wandering through the house, and ended up in the "office" or library, where I was thumbing through some old books, and saw this piece - covered with dust, sitting on the windowsill - no price tag.  I've done enough browsing here, and through Marcus' book and several other sites that I KNEW this piece was something, before I even picked it up. Imagine my delight at after wiping the cobwebs and dust away, seeing the signature on the back!

I stacked it on top of my pile of books that I'd chosen, and headed for the cashier. "What's the price on this, thing?" the cashier hollered to the manager... "Oh, that looks like a school project. I didn't even notice it when I was pricing. $5? "   

I tried to keep my cool, but I'm sure my face went white. I paid and got the heck out of there before someone asked to see it more closely!

Now for a fun question - what is it supposed to be? A camel? Red Squirrel? Open to any and all suggestions  ;D

Offline assaf

• Members
Re: Show and tell....Identified, but what is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 06:05:36 AM »
Well I don't know what it is, but a great find! I love these stories (most of all when it happens to me  ;D).
Hope you'll enjoy it, with no dust...

Assaf

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:32:11 AM »
Amazing find, well done. I have a Jan Cerny bull from this range. I have not seen this shape before. I think it is probably a cat. That is a guess though, a great find,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline eglass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
Thank you Assaf, and Robert!

A cat - of course! I was just looking at it from the tail-end first, I guess. :) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand