No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue & Green Swirls Cylinder Vase. ID = Isle of Wight Studio  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Hoping for a little help from those in the know.
I think Sue is spot on with it being a version of the Pink & Blue Swirls, but we would be welcome a little reassurance.
TIA
Della
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Blue & Green Swirls Cylinder Vase.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
This has the look of Isle of Wight Studio Glass rather than Mdina, if IoW then perhaps an experimental item from early on in 1973. The 'line' of bubbles running vertically is often seen in the early ranges like tortoiseshell and pink & blue swirls.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »
Those were my thoughts exactly, John. I'm glad you've said something, you're much better at Swirls than I am and I wanted your opinion just to confirm.
I've not seen blue and green swirls before, have you?

I did have a mild panic that the green might come from a photographic fartiact and the pink in some pink and blue that goes green under certain lights. It's not, is it?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »
Hi John,
Thank you!
Definitely IoW as it has a label on it. I have had a look at some photos I am pretty sure it is in the same genre and Pink & Blue Swirls. Those photos aren't the best as I had inadvertently lowered the quality on my camera.
It is definitely green though. The attached photo was taken on a chair , under the window
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
Height and a photo of the label would be useful for reference. Is that a snapped off pontil mark on the base? The topic also needs moving from Malta to British and Irish.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:05 AM »
Yes, John, the pontil is snapped of.
Photo of the label and a new one of the base attached.
175 mm (7 5/8") in height

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
Intriguing, the label dates from 1978 or later but I would have assumed the vase was more like 73 (the experimental nature and snapped mark). I suppose it could have resided in their archive for a while before being sold later in the shop, unless of course it was an experiment from the late 70s.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
I read on Wikidot, and have had an email to say that later labels can be found on earlier pieces which have been sold quite some time after their manufacture date.
I thought early '73  but I am only going off the information that I have read.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 01:32:21 PM »
Yes that happened when items were held in their archive for a while, a lot of stuff got sold in that manner when the studio closed a few years ago, prior to it rising again phoenix like from the ashes....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand