Author Topic: question for Glen, what IS this pattern called?  (Read 2512 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Glen

  • Author
  • Members
  • ***
  • Posts: 2898
  • Gender: Female
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
question for Glen, what IS this pattern called?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 10:27:48 AM »
It has a breathtaking iridescence. An absolutely fabulous piece.

Is it radium? In my opnion, no, not strictly radium.

Radium iridescence is a descriptive term usually applied to pieces made by Millersburg. In fact they coined the term back in 1911. Today the phrase is used to describe an iridescence that is almost mirror shiny. It is very colourful and beautiful, but instead of being matt or satiny, it is almost see-through. (It isn't exactly what Millersburg originally meant by the term, but it is how it has come to be known over the years, by collectors).

So, if it's not radium, what is it? It's not always easy to pigeon-hole an iridescent effect, and frequently different people will have different opinions. The easiest (and least likely to be misunderstood) way to describe it would be to call it very vivid and well iridised. It could even be called "Pumpkin marigold" (a vivid marigold iridescent effect that has lots of purples, reds and deep intense highlights) but I can't be sure from the photo.

Imperial were renowned for quality Carnival Glass.

Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see
Copyright G&S Thistlewood


This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand