No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edward Moore Reg. 82606 dated 30.09.1887.  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Edward Moore Reg. 82606 dated 30.09.1887.
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »
Ropework and gadrooning - so even without the Rd. No. it wouldn't be difficult to suggest that Ed. Moore was the first choice for maker.     Not a design that I've seen before, and not evident in my books or, from what I can see, on the Board's pressed glass encyclopedia, so unable to say presently whether this was made as an unlidded item, or lidded  -  and I don't have the Kew picture yet, so will have to wait a while for the answer.        I suspect lidded though.                                I've looked on Neil's great site, but doesn't appear there either.         
The raised No. inside the bowl is quite sharp, so I'd suggest pressed not too long after the design was first Registered. 

Made using a four part mould.             Jenny Thompson suggests that Moore's use of gadrooning was influenced earlier in that decade by designs from John Walsh Walsh, but whatever the reason they seem to have been fond of rope and gadrooning, decorative features that lend themselves fairly easily to glass patterns and are appealing, visually.            The stippling on this one, from what I can see on other Moore pieces, seems unusual.

If we have this on the archives here, Fred, no doubt you'll let me know, and would be interested to hear if I've missed seeing this shape somewhere in the books.         

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Edward Moore Reg. 82606 dated 30.09.1887.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
Quite a few photos of Edward Moore's RD 82606 on the GMB RD database, Paul. See the Glass Queries Gallery's search facility or
http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-16174
and the sequence following.

Your example is of a pedestal sugar bowl, and there is a matching creamer.

There is also a covered pedestal bowl where the body of the bowl appears to be a little shallower than that of  the sugar, and the stem of the pedestal is also a little shorter.

I can't recall seeing photos of pieces from RD 82006 in any of the standard reference books  on pressed glass, though.

The sugar is not uncommon, the covered bowl (complete with lid) is seen occasionally, but the creamer is pretty rare.

I would certainly interested in seeing the design representation drawings from Kew for RD 82606 in due course, please.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
thanks Fred :)  -  In fact I wasn't sounding off without having checked first of all  -  I punched the No. and name into the Glass Gallery Registration section twice, and nothing surfaced, which was why I thought this was new to the Board's Archive.                  Must have been the gremlins at work again. :-\

You might like to correct the No. in your third line from bottom  -  and yes, I'll get the Kew picture when next I visit.

P.S.     I've seen them now  -  it appears that when you enter Ed. Moore Reg. 82606, it tells you there's no image to view  -  but when you say Edward............   then you're o.k.              Apologies for being a tad thick.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »
Thank you, Paul.

Note taken of the typo.

As for the Glass Queries gallery search facility - simply searching for 82606 or moore 82606 should produce a result.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand