No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano? Poli? Can anyone help?  (Read 953 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Murano? Poli? Can anyone help?
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
Hi All.  I found this triangular dish recently in Yorkshire and am fairly certain it is Murano.  Unfortunately (as usual) no label or marks.  However during my research I have seen references (on the web) to very similar dishes being attributed to Flavio Poli for Seguso Vetri d'Arte.  I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of Murano reference books (anyone recommend any affordable ones) so am reliant at the moment on web research.  Can anyone id?  In my opinion a striking piece with a pink and green summerso encased in clear glass.  I'm also fairly certain it contains uranium as it lights up bright green even in daylight under UV (see image).  It measures 15.5 cm across x 4.5 cm deep and weighs 1.1 kg.  Any help would be much appreciated.  If anyone wants any more images posting please let me know - image 1 is the top view, image 2 is the side view, image 3 is the base (flat polished - no sign of pontil), image 4 is under UV light. Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Murano? Poli? Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »
Never trust internet attributions, particularly not when it comes to Flavio Poli ;)
When you search ebay for Flavio Poli, you will usually find hundreds of pieces, none of which was designed by him.

Your ashtray looks like generic Murano to me (your pics are way too small to see any detail unfortunately); fairly impossible to attribute these pieces to a maker...

BTW,

Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
Never trust internet attributions, particularly not when it comes to Flavio Poli ;)

Words of wisdom indeed!

John

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
Couldn't agree more.  And ebay 'mistaken' attribution doesn't just apply to glass.  I'm currently restoring and researching a mid-century teak surround mirror and the number of times I've seen the same one on ebay attributed as Danish or G-Plan without a shred of factual evidence is amazing.  It seems some sellers adopt an attitude of 'it looks like therefore it must be' without bothering to do any research.  Anyway that my twopennoth worth.  Thanks also for the head's up on the images.  I has the wrong setting on my resize option for the images, so I've redone then and re-attached.  Probably make no difference to be able to say who made them but does allow a better look.  Thanks

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »
I am afraid the problem of improper attribution is not restricted to internet sale sites.  I call most auctioneers MCDs = Master in Creative Description as well.  You must realise that the internet seller is interested in getting the best price possible.  So attributing their item to a well known, higher value maker occurs - either as a direct fraud(if they actually know enough to identify the maker/designer), OR most commonly because they hope that it was made by someone good.

Unfortunately Murano is attributed to all and every clear cased dish/ashtray/bowl.  In fact, until you are able to see a clear photo of the base, I can name a possible 9 -12 different makers - some of whom are better quality than typical Murano.

I am posting an example that I suspect almost no one will attribute correctly unless they have seen it before.  Typically it would be sold as Murano on its appearance alone.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
Luckily our local auction house which has been going for years will not attribute anything unless there is firm evidence (marks, labels, etc) giving it provenance. They will simply call it Art Glass or Coloured Glass and they do the same for all objects in their auctions (furniture, ceramics, etc).  Very reliable.

Interesting piece you posted - my immediate thoughts are Polish or French, but that is simply a guess and I would not be surprised if it was non-European (I have in the past come across some really interesting Japanese pieces)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
I would go with Murano, but no further than that

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 01:30:37 PM »
As a £2 charity shop find that would be more than enough for me

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
nope - I think MCDs is letting them off too lightly.       It should be MIDs   ....   Masters of Imaginative Descriptions ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand