No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Art Nouveau Vaae. ID = Legras  (Read 3213 times)

Offline canadadanYWG

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Canada
Large Art Nouveau Vaae. ID = Legras
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:34:41 PM »
I recently acquired this large Art Nouveau 'vase' that is as beautiful as it is perplexing.

It stands 19" tall and is ~6.5" at its widest. One mark on the bottom is painted on, I am unable to reconize the first line but underneath that it clearly says Frères and then Venezia. Underneath the painted mark another is impressed into the glass reading Senlis Paris. I have I have examined it carefully but have found no other marks or signatures on either in inside or the outside. Needless to say it looks decidedly more French than Italian.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted my search for similar items in a Google image search and researching the marks as they are.

Thanks!

edit: My apologies for the image rotation on the last two, it was fine in editing but rotated upon posting.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Large Art Nouveau Vaae
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:09:03 AM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Afraid I cant help with the mark, however stylisticslly the vase reminds me of some examples by Mont Joye/Legras & Cie
Perhaps this may give you a further avenue to explore.

Lovely vase btw. Good luck.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »
deleted - as just repeating what had already been said. :)

Offline canadadanYWG

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Thanks Greg! That indeed helped...

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/vases-vessels/vases/circa1890-grand-exhibition-glass-vase-francois-theodore-legrassaint-denis/id-f_954974/

I think the price they're asking is a BIT high... but it gives me the origins. Many thanks :) 

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:37:47 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

the vase reminds me of some examples by Mont Joye/Legras & Cie

This vase is from the series 'Vert Impérial' or imperial green, and can be signed L et Cie - St Denis-Paris in gold but the majority are not signed. In this case I guess the mark is from the retailer.

Quote from the Universal Exhibition in 1900
An acid cut pattern of oak leaves and acorns on a green (also called Nile green  :-\ ) ....satin finish background, gilt with gold and sometimes with silver.

Offline canadadanYWG

• Members
    • Canada
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 01:50:29 PM »
This vase is from the series 'Vert Impérial' or imperial green, and can be signed L et Cie - St Denis-Paris in gold but the majority are not signed. In this case I guess the mark is from the retailer.

Quote from the Universal Exhibition in 1900
An acid cut pattern of oak leaves and acorns on a green (also called Nile green  :-\ ) ....satin finish background, gilt with gold and sometimes with silver.

Many thanks Anne, I was thinking the same thing about the painted mark. I misread the faint impressed mark as Senis-Paris... but the naked eye, at the right angle, easily makes out the 'enis-Paris' of what you mentioned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand