No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info on my glass. Help!! ID = Davidson  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Jansglass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United Kingdom
Info on my glass. Help!! ID = Davidson
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »
I have some glass I am looking for information such as age, price, and what it is I.e where would it have been made.
First being what I think is a posy vase, it does not have any makers marks and is hand made, it is yellow finish on the bottom and off white on top, small in size. I hope the photos help.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Info on my glass. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:17:26 PM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB.              In this instance your picture, although smaller than the size required usually for id here, shows what appears to be a piece of Primrose (yellow) Pearline, which had its origins (in the U.K.) with a company by the name of George Davidson, in Gateshead.            There is a similar product in blue for which I think cobalt was responsible for the colour.            Ingredients include phosphates and arsenic, which contribute to the opaque parts of the article when the piece is re-heated - the longer the re-striking the greater extent of the opaqueness.
Pieces from George Davidson were often marked with a Registration No., inside the piece is often favourite.             I could be wrong, but have a feeling that Davidson Registered a smaller number of their designs than some of the other pressed glass factories.

Assuming your piece is period than it might date to the 1890s - Davidson's patent is dated 1889 - but I always worry that these things have been recreated in the C20 - so not entirely sure ...........   this may well have been intended as a posy vase - the Victorians were very keen on such things.           For obvious reasons people here are very keen on knowing dimensions - saying simply this is small is a reasonable comment, but accuracy is preferable.

Sorry - regret no one here is going to discuss values with you  -  too variable - take  dozen people and they'll almost certainly give you a dozen different figures.             Look for similar items at on line auctions sites, and you should get some general indication of value.

Regret this doesn't provide much specific information on your piece  -  let's hope someone recognizes the pattern/design. :)

P.S.  meant to say  ............   If you shine a black light or u.v. torch on this one it will glow.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 06:13:18 AM »
Welcome. Can you try resizing your original high-res picture by cropping off most of the background and then making the longest dimension about 700 pixels. The file size should be about right and should enlarge for us. You have 125 kb per picture, up to four pictures per post and the board makes the thumbnails.

The more pictures the better please. As Paul says we need dimensions too. Feel inside for some raised numbers

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:16:54 AM »
we are in luck :)             There is a photograph of this item in Sheilagh Murray's book - plate 56 - and the description provided says 'square vase 8.5 cms. high', although unfortunately there isn't an indication that this design was Registered.
This would appear to confirm that your piece is a genuine George Davidson design, and dates probably from approximately 1890.            So a very nice find.
Perhaps Fred will tell us whether this is something we've had on the Board previously, or perhaps a scarce pattern.

Ref. 'The Peacock And The Lioins - The Story Of Pressed Glass Of The North East Of England'  -  Sheilagh Murray  -  1982.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
Welcome to the GMB, Jansglass.

This pattern has been discussed in some detail on the GMB. See:
www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58186.0.html

In summary, though, there seem to be at least 3 sizes known for this basic design. Known in clear, purple marbled, primrose/yellow pearline and blue pearline glass Most examples are unmarked, leading to a merely putative attribution to Davidson for many years, though there is a purple marbled glass example with the Davidson demi-lion trademark to the underside. General date of about 1890. Davidson pattern number currently unknown.

I attach some photos for permanent reference here, but there are a number of photos on the Glass Queries Gallery Davidson Pattern Album at
http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-21635

and sequence.

Fred

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand