No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Requirements for glass as a dance floor  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Hagenbeck

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
Requirements for glass as a dance floor
« on: June 05, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to make a glass dance floor, of about 3200 x 2200mm. I have bought six 540 x 540 mm pieces of temperated + temperated laminated glass, for a total thickness of 20mm (10 + 10). The glasses are supported by a mettalic structure, simply by resting its borders on it (around 10mm of each border).

I would like to ask you guys if you think this setup is safe. Here are my concerns:
- I will be putting some led lights on the floor, below the glasses. I would like to put some coating/film on the bottom so that the lights can't be seen from above, and thus having a more uniform, diffuse light. Do you have any tips on which coating specs should I use?
- There will be a max of 4 people on it at the same time. Can these specs handle this weight, with jumping and dancing?
- Also, I'm worried about dilatation issues. Is there a problem if I leave no space between the glass pieces? Will it crack through dilatation like other materials (they will be always on the same indoor spot, stable temperature all year long)?
- Will chamfering the glass help in correcting minor height differences?

I attached a sample image from the internet that gives a good idea of the final result (lacking only the lights).

Thanks a ton!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Requirements for glass as a dance floor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
I'm afraid I cannot help with your safety specifications, but please, ban stiletto heels.

Welcome to the gmb! :)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
Check with some of the glass companies and engineers that have fabricated glass walking bridges, and balconies that extend from high rise buildings. I know of a glass bridge in Chattanooga, TN that has been there for well over 10 years and crosses over a major interstate highway. I even walk occasionally on a glass floor with water running under it at a local Chinese restaurant\. Get some good engineering help to insure your liability issues.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »
This shouldn't be a problem. Contact Pilkingtons in St Helens: http://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/contacts
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand