No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart Dragonfly - Fake.  (Read 3563 times)

Offline rbm6167

• Members
Paul Ysart Dragonfly - Fake.
« on: July 20, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »
Is this fake Paul Ysart dragonfly paperweight a 2000 fake? I have been looking at Ysartglass.com and at Kevin Holt's site and am not totally sure. The close up of the PY cane shows it is not the dropped Y type, but the PY is about the size you would expect i.e. not the small version which is fake.
When I try to count the "spokes" of the cog cane there seems to be more than 20 so I guess I am confused. What is the fake determination of this weight or is it not even a fake Paul Ysart?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John

http://i5.tinypic.com/20iuqg0.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/20iut4z.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »
to me it defo looks fake, it has the slipped letter Y and different colour letters
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »
Hi,

It is the earlier Type 1 fake. With the distinctive two coloured letters which are as probably good as a signature for identifying where these are from :twisted:

With the ridiculous amount collectors are paying for these fakes now, it could be brand new of course, what better motivation do the makers need.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 07:24:57 PM »
Visually, this does fit with others regarded as fakes.

As Ray has said, the P and Y are different colours. This fact was noted and published in the December 2000 issue of the PCC newlsettter (CPC in those days) and also as shown in my web pages. So far, this two-colour feature of the letters has been confirmed as applying to all known examples (at least, for all those examined and reported by various collectors).
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rbm6167

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:33:20 PM »
Thank you for the information on the paperweight.
It was sold as a fake - so there was no intention to deceive on this occasion - and I bought it to have as an example for reference purposes in case I ever am in the position to purchase the real thing, never having seen a fake or an original in real life.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand