No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: REMOVING THE LABEL FROM MY NEW VASART PIECE???  (Read 6000 times)

Offline THX1138

• Members
REMOVING THE LABEL FROM MY NEW VASART PIECE???
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:56:51 PM »
I've put this post in the Cafe because my question is not about the item itself, but about removing labels from glass. I already know it's a Vasart, even without the label. But, it's the label that has me in a quandary.

Anyway, I bought this good quality, solid condition Vasart pin dish the other day at an antique shop (a collective of six dealers in a storefront) in a small shopping center near my house. The collective has about seven other paperweight-style items, but nothing as dramatic as this Vasart. The best of the rest is a very nice Gentile flower weight with a flawless set-up. Lime green and white petals grow from a bubbly red flash ground. $35. The shopping center also has an actual butcher shop, dancewear shop, a law office, an old-fashioned barbershop, and a greeting card and gift shop (with China-made teapot-style paperweights).

As soon as I saw the pin dish, I shouted an interior "bingo." $58 total was the cost.

Happily, the pin dish has the Vasart label used between 1956 and 1964. But, since everything isn't perfect in this crazy world,  the label is right smack dab over the millefiori set-up. I want to punch one of the Ysarts in the nose for that one.

Anyway, all kidding aside. What do I do? Do I remove the label to reveal the full glory of the pin dish's millefiori set-up? Or would that just be absolutely wrong? Does anyone know of a "magical" way to remove labels that keeps the label intact and possibly usable? I could transfer the label to the bottom of the pin dish. Does the label over the colorful set-up reduce re-sale value? And generally, what is the "antique insurance" value of this piece. Thanks.

http://i4.tinypic.com/241l3bk.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 01:02:58 PM »
Drop it into a bucket of water overnight, but stick it on the side not bottom. Vasart labels rarely went under but often on the sides.

As the labels were put on by the girls, you might get into trouble!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline THX1138

• Members
immersing
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 01:06:10 PM »
Thanks. I get nervous about immersing paperweights and paperweight-style items in water. It has to be lukewarm water, right? Or room temperature? If I do this, I will definitely put the label on the side.

As for the ladies, you referenced this in other posts Frank, but it really does seem that at Ysart/Monart/Vasart/Strathearn/Perthshire, the women did the grunt work and the men did the creative work. A little bit sad, actually. Makes you wonder what designs and creations the gals would have come up with.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 01:23:52 PM »
Use the elbow test for the water. The girls also set the canes, third picture http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysartnews/Ysartnews3a.htm#Photos

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »
What a fascinating article. Much appreciated Frank.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 01:59:58 PM »
:D :D :D

I suggest finding a room that is of reasonably constant temperature, put the bucket/bowl of water in the room and the weight in the room and leave for at least a couple of hours, so that they are both at the same temperature when you introduce them to each other.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline THX1138

• Members
good idea
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 04:30:49 PM »
Thanks C-L. I will make sure everything is at room temperature for a few hours. I guess I'm gonna do it later today. Great pictures, Frank.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand