No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info on this Val St Lambert vase?  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Daniel

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antique Vases
    • South America
Info on this Val St Lambert vase?
« on: June 15, 2017, 03:06:29 AM »
After finding this handsome piece gathering dust in the back of a dealer's bookshelf, I spent the better part of two days searching the internet for information on it.  Luckily I happened on this board, where quite a few of you seem to be as thrilled with Val St Lambert as I am now!

The piece is 17 inches high, 4.5 inches wide at the mouth.  It is dark, cobalt blue with green designs layered inside.  Anyone know anything about it?  Hopefully it's not fake ;)

Thank you,
Daniel

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Info on this Val St Lambert vase?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:10:09 AM »
Personally, there's not much I can tell you, besides that it's not a fake.

Even though it is not old, there's not much info to be found in books etc. as this type of glass from VSL wasn't and still isn't, very popular. I guess it's often considered to be related to the Studio Crystal by VSL but it's not.

The label and signature Studio Crystal were given to pieces done during demo's and are at the bottom of the market. Studio pieces that were not done during demo's were catalogued under 'Art & Design' and perhaps it's part of these series. There was a whole philosophy and theory behing the A & D series, I've mentioned a bit about this movement over here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=58493.10

Some pieces designed by Juliette Féard, executed by Antoine Cimino have similarities, but i'm just guessing here, and they are displayed in catalogues dating from 1995-2005.

Nice size though.

Offline Daniel

• Members
    • Antique Vases
    • South America
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
Thanks for the lead!

It's really a great piece, even if I can't find much about it, it generates a lot of conversation. I'll keep an eye out for information; this looks like it will be great fun!

Daniel

Offline wiskyblandi1

• Members
    • taxas
    • usa
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
Large and beautiful vase.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 12:37:25 PM »
While you say this is the "bottom" end of VSL, Anne, I love it and have an interest in it because of Sam Herman and Louis le Loup being involved.

I'm more than happy to be a bottom, if that's what that makes me. ;D
Folk will catch up eventually. 8)

I love this vase. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »
Sorry, I should have added that Studio Glass by VSL is considered 'bottom of the market' by the purists and collectors of VSL, especially here in Belgium. I didn't mean as in quality, production in or style, it's just that this style is  not  as popular as some of the other styles/periods. Having said that, the market of VSL is constantly moving, pieces and styles that you couldn't even give away a few years ago, suddenly become the thing to have and vice versa....  I can't keep up with it.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
 ;) I did understand that, but it is also just as well you made that point clear.
"Bottom of VSL" is much higher quality than many others' best. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »
In the 1961 catalogue there's a cut to clear version of this model called 'Noaille' [no-a-y-e]. Sometimes a different version got a new name but overall, models kept their names no matter what version it was designed in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand