No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars pewter bark - why no bids?  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Whitefriars pewter bark - why no bids?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 02:07:39 PM »
Will move this thread to cafe later.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
Ah!  Moved to the Cafe means I can chat on this thread now!  8)

I think some of the allure of WF is that information about it is readily available and well covered.  www.whitefriars.com & www.whitefriars.org do a sterling job in identifying 'unknown' pieces and giving them patterns number for the uninitiated.  

I have a great fondness for WF work, the later textured range is so 'of the era' and well made yet designed 'for the people'.  In that respect, it feels like a classic.

The fun really starts (as a collector) when you start recognising older shapes by 'gut feel' alone, simply by building up your confidence and knowledge.  In this respect, it's a good area to start collecting and also to continue building up your collection for years afterwards.
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »
it is also useful to be able to identify things that are NOT Whitefriars... three Dartington vases sold as Whitefriars today at the same auction - they didn't make ,much money so the dealers obviously knew what they were looking at, but I was amazed the auctioneers could make such an obvious mistake.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 03:44:21 PM »
may just be my monitor but the vase in the auction looks more like willow than pewter. It appears to have a greenish tint, whereas pewter is a more silver grey. I don't know if this would affect the value though.

To my mind the price seems reasonable but not great when you factor in postage. I've sold two medium barks in the past year and only got about £40 each for them.

As for what Paul & Ivo said, I'm tending to agree. Whitefriars was one of the first things I collected but my tastes soon moved on and I have sold off most of my collection. I really can't understand some of the prices realised now, particularly as many of the patterns are quite common.

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand