No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Glass Identification Signature  (Read 4261 times)

Offline MaltaGlass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paintings Art
    • Malta
Mdina Glass Identification Signature
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
Hello, Could you help me with identifying the signature on this glass bottle. it is priced at 150 euro, do you think that is a fair price ? Thanks Frankie 

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: Mdina Glass Identification Signature
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
Hi Frankie,  ;D Welcome!

There is some information on signatures here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=63130.0
and I'm sure some more in the Malta glass section.
Hopefully the knowledgeable members, of which there are a couple, will be along soon.
Della
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »
It looks a bit like Marie's writing.
I think the price is very... imaginative?  :D (try dividing it by ~ 5)

It is a farily early piece, mid-'70s. I'm not sure the stopper matches, but they were optional extras at the time anyway and can be paired up without worrying too much, except that this one doesn't actually match.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »
Imaginative sounds about right, I would agree with Sue, 30 to 40 Euro would be more realistic. If the stopper is tortoiseshell (like the bottle) then it would be a match - needing to be brown rather than blue in colour.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
This is a little unusual in the Tortoiseshell being rather red. They used silver nitrate to turn red glass into brown, this one missed out a little on the dose of silver, but it's a nice feature.
The pieces with an "artist signature" were not signed by glassmakers, but by Marie, Vicente Boffo's niece, who also got the job of packing stuff up, or by Eric Dobson, the manager.
Unless they're one of the odd bits that got signed by Michael Harris under request. He didn't like signing his work.
But in the mid-70s, some pieces did get deemed good enough to seem to have an artist's signature, so some were put on, by Eric or Marie. We don't know what it's supposed to read, if anything.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline MaltaGlass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paintings Art
    • Malta
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Thank you All for your Help,Glad to have joined this website/group, I will take your advice and move on  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand