No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flygsfors Berndt "Mushroom" Vase  (Read 2459 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Flygsfors Berndt "Mushroom" Vase
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:15:22 AM »
I purchased this interesting Flygsfors vase today, which has sticker and signed underneath with company name, "60" and "Berndt."  I've found no information on this piece or its series in either my Scandi reference books or online.  Any information would be appreciated.   Also, as I have no intention of parting with it, I'd like to know (in general terms) what type of insurance value to place on it.
Thanks,
Charles.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:43:38 AM »
At the risk of telling you what you already know  :? :'Smoke & Ice' by Vigier and Pina says that Wiktor Berndt was a designer for Flygsfors from 1955-1974 and chief designer from 1956 - 1974...it goes on to say that Berndt pieces are often signed with his last name, the company name and the production year.

Smoke & Ice  ISBN 0-7643-1653-2

I've had a look through my other books and can't find this design either.  I hope someone has the answers for you.  :)
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 09:27:51 AM »
I've been buying quite a few pieces of Berndt over the past few months for a friend who is not on the web and wanted to collect something a little unusual. This appears later than his naive figural pieces and I would guess it to be late 1960's or even early 1970's. I've not come across this pattern either so difficult to estimate value, but the figural vases have been trading in the £120 - £180 region this year so far with no shortage of buyers so hopefully this will help a tad.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 10:03:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Yep, I've got the fire-smoke-ice books!  To clarify, the "60" from what I know about Flygsfors would I believe mean it was produced in the year 1960.  I have 5 "Coquille" vases signed with these two digit year codes.  As a side note, as gorgeous as they are, Coquille vases have been selling from 1/2 to 1/3 of "book" value on eBay over at least the past couple years (although strangely at "book" price in antique shows and stores here in the midwest!).  Hopefully my "mushroom" vase doesn't suffer from this overall depression in Flygsfors market, owing to its apparent scarcity and strong interest in the designer for his molded "naive" pieces.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 11:49:56 AM »
None of the Berndt pieces I've bought have had a year mark, just "Flygsfors" and "Berndt". I know these were common on the Cocquille range, but it just possibly may not be a date, though probably is.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand