No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opinion on Boffo and Rosenthal  (Read 2118 times)

Offline MaltaGlass

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paintings Art
    • Malta
Opinion on Boffo and Rosenthal
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »
Hello,

I intend to start a collection of Mdina Glass and Boffo.

I was offered two pieces by Boffo Brown Jug and earth tones vase. These were offered to me at £95 keeping in mind that this includes shipping to Malta :-)

I was also offered a Rosenthal Mdina Glass for £50, do you think these are fair prices to pay ? 

Also if anyone has Boffo or Mdina glass available please let me know

Thanks everyone esp Della and Sue :-) 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Opinion on Boffo and Rosenthal
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »
The amethyst jug is a Boffo piece from Mdina, the Earthtones vase is probably MDG, check what the base looks like for confirmation - if it is polished completely flat, it will be Mdina, it it has shallow groves in it, it will be MDG.
Personally, I tend towards MDG, as it is a really good clear and defined shape, Mdina vases this shape tend to be lumpier.
The bullet bowl is not Rosenthal, which is a random pattern of blue trails over yellow, not this defined "three spirals" design.
I don't know how anybody could be sure that was made by Boffo and not one of the other good malkers there at that time.
We don't tend to discuss values here, they're very subjective, but those don't sound too bad.
You should buy what you like. You're the one who has to live with it afterwards. :)

In future, would you please make a seperate thread for each piece of glass that you post?
Also, do you own these images? If not, you cannot post them, unless you have specific permission from their owner, because of legal complications.
You can post a link to an auction that contains the images, that way, the owner of them is properly credited.
Thank-you
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »
I have deleted the images on your original post above as we have been advised the images belong to third parties. The board has a policy on the use of material such as images which belong to others. You can, if you wish, post a link to an item listed for sale and ask for opinions on it, but the board cannot allow images taken from such listings to be used on the board unless the permission of the owner has been expressly sought and given. You can read the board's policy on copyright here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24434.0.html but if you are unsure if can use an image etc please ask us first.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline MaltaGlass

• Members
    • Paintings Art
    • Malta
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:02 PM »
Noted with Thanks ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:54:06 PM »
As the images had to be removed, I've dug around to find some of mine to illustrate the thread.
A spiral bullet bowl, from Mdina.
A bark textured jug, but in teal, not amethyst as per the OP's query. I don't have an amethyst one.
An MDG vase, in the shape I call a "Chimney vase"
A Mdina "Chimney vase", to illustrate the difference in execution. (it's a lot lumpier)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline MaltaGlass

• Members
    • Paintings Art
    • Malta
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
Thank you Sue for the images provided.

So Far I have bought some MDG and Mdina Glass, here are the MDG.
I am looking at some other MDG glass which hopefully I will acquire. :-) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand