No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Bohemian 1930's paperweight?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Is this a Bohemian 1930's paperweight?
« on: July 29, 2006, 02:58:44 PM »
Hi,

I have just bought this lovely paperweight with a flat ground base and bubbles and a fountain like swirl.

I think Kev H said that one like it  may be Bohemian and from the 1930's, I hope so because if it is something is lodging in my little grey cells :D

Top/side view
http://i7.tinypic.com/21c6mq0.jpg

Side view
http://i7.tinypic.com/21c6omf.jpg

Base view
http://i7.tinypic.com/21c6p09.jpg

Sorry about the box top for the photo, but I am trying to get ready for Farndon fair tomorrow, and its just too hot, and I'm longing for a glass of wine but as I have to be up early tomorrow and have a clear head its got to be water instead :cry:

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:09:53 PM »
Hi Barbara,

I have an example very much like yours (but mine is actually a bit neater :) ). From the base, they look the same, because of the flat polished finish and the very fine chips and colouring of the ground.

I bought mine sevral years ago as "Bohemian". A book by Peter von Brackel published 1999, covers all sorts of European "folk art" weights and he shows a couple with (some) similar features, although of differing design. He attributed them to "Weisswasser 1900-1930", a company in what used to be Silesia.

Whether our weights really are Weisswasser, is speculative at best, but they are of a style which is, to my eye, tidier than most of the "Bohemian / Czech" folk art items from 1900-30.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:46:05 PM »
Hi Kev H,

I am just so pleased that some of your words of wisdom find their way in and stay there :lol:

As you know, me and paperweights are usually a no-no, as I know really very very little at all, despite a couple of books now and all your help. BUT this one looked at me and that little light bulb went off :idea: and I remembered reading what you had said about a similar one.

Its a step in the right direction though, all be it a small one :lol:

Thanks for your help again,

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand