No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Advice on selling a collection  (Read 3001 times)

Offline paperweightalan

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • UK
Advice on selling a collection
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
We have a private collection that we'd like to sell.  It's 800 - 900 paperweights in their original boxes, all referenced and many with their original receipts.

Does anyone have any advice as to how we sell them?

Thanks!

Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: Advice on selling a collection
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »
Hi Julie
I am afraid you have a bit of a problem as I cannot see anyone wanting to buy all 900 of your paperweights as one lot but there are paperweight dealers who may be interested in buying several of them. The amounts they offer may be negotiable but you have to remember they need to make a profit, cover their expenses and pay VAT so the amounts they offer may not appear overly generous.

Also much depends on who made your weights as some makes are much more (or less) popular than others which affects their desireability and price, whether they are unlimited or limited editions must also be taken into account.

Obviously the best way to make the most from your weights is to sell them yourself either by hiring a stall at fairs which include glassware items or by listing them on Ebay. There is a small charge for selling on Ebay but it may be the best way to go.

Sorry there is no easy solution but I hope this helps. Hopefully other members may have more advice to offer you

Best wishes
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
The more you know about your collection, the better the price you will get.  If you are going to approach dealers or auction houses, it is best to provide a description up front in terms of the makers and style of paperweights you have.  Otherwise they may not even respond.  Since you are in the UK, my advice is to get a list of dealers from the Paperweight Collectors Circle and start with them.

I am in the US and I have purchased collections that large, but it is a hard thing to deal with, for both the seller and the buyer.  You might start with your best weights and try to get a reasonable price for them.  Then donate the remainder to a charity or consign them to a local auction, knowing there will be little return.  I don't recommend selling them on eBay unless that is something you have always wanted to try.  It will take you years to sell them all.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 06:56:02 AM »

Hi Julie.  The ease with which you may be able to sell them will depend so much upon what makes they are.  Caithness Glass, for example, are hard to sell for much at present because there are so many around.  Happy to give further advice if you can send me more information about them.  There is an email link on our website.
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweightrow

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:28 PM »
Hi Julie. Agree with the above. However, selling yourself is very longwinded. Maybe as a start, circulate photos to dealers such as myself (Paperweight Row, or steverowe1 AT outlook DOT com) for some ID and further advice. Steve

[Mod: email address made spam proof. To use: change AT and DOT and close up spaces]

Offline n_bonaparte

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
Hi Julie,
I'm very sure that I will be interested in several items of your collection. I'm a  paperweight collector and dealer. You can send me photos for the present, on which several pieces are shown together to:
kostbarkeiten AT online DOT de

kind regards
Andreas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand