No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does "Czechoslovakia" give any indication of age?  (Read 3642 times)

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Does "Czechoslovakia" give any indication of age?
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
 The single word is on the underside of the flower-holder disc in relief, rather than incised into the glass.  Would this indicate a date range, in the same way that "Made in England" does?  I would also be interested to know what bowl this was originally intended to go with if anyone knows.  It stands about 8.75 inches or 22.5 cms high.  Many thanks for any info.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Does "Czechoslovakia" give any indication of age?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
 :)
I believe it can, as can Czecho-Slovakia, with a hyphen, which indicates other dates.
Don't ask me what they are.
I might confidently hazard sometime in the 1900s. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »
After 1918 and before 1993 is the time period for the name, I guess the 1930s was the heyday for wares of this type.

The use of a hyphen is interesting though, not something I remember seeing before. This might be useful: http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/spellczechoslovakia.html

John

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »
I wonder if that "hyphen" is actually a not-well-formed "H" so that the full mark is: "CZECHOSLOVAKIA".

If the "hyphen" is really a hyphen then the mark is: "CZEC-OSLOVAKIA", which does not make sense.
KevinH

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:39:32 AM »
Kevin you are spot on, an H rather than hyphen. Glad someone is wearing their glasses... :D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »
I have definitely seen a raised moulded mark with a hyphen. It was on something pressed, odd and saucer-y with extra bits, and pink.

I just can't remember if I bought it for the example or to show somebody or not, or if I've given it back to a charity shop if I did. All I can remember is studying it. Small capital letters. Smaller than the normal size of France or Italy moulded onto the base.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »
There are certainly marks with.a hyphen out there. My impression is that they tend to be earlier rather than later. Inwald  used an acid stamped 'Made in Czecho-Slovakia' on some of their thirties production for example.

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 05:49:25 PM »
Sorry I haven't been back for a few days, I received a notification of Chopins reply but nothing since, perhaps because I wasn't signed in when I read the comment or because I didn't reply?

I can confirm that there is no hyphen, it's a weakly formed 'H'.

I asked elsewhere if anyone could I.D or date the figure or the bowl it goes with and had two replies.

The first posted a photo of the figure standing in a six sided bowl with a band of leaves and grapes just below the rim.  They gave no info. as to where the photo came from or anything else.

The second posted a photo of a different bowl, without figure, but said a friend who they regard as an expert on Czech glass had told them it was the correct bowl and both were made by Libochovice.   I checked the bowl on the Pressglass site and has a ref. no. 08594. and is dated to the1958 catalogue.  I couldn't find the figure on Pressglass.

I'm not convinced that either is right.  Why would a figure of a duck be paired with a bowl decorated with grapes?
For some reason I can't remember I have long thought that this type of bowl and figure centerpiece sets were not made after the war.   Shortage of glass perhaps?  So the date of the Libochovice bowl seems too late.  Also the Libochovice bowl is marked "TCHECOSLOVAKIA", I would have thought that if they were made to be a set the marking would have been the same?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
Bowl and figure centrepieces certainly were made after the war by, for example, VEB Saschenglas

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »
The hyphen issue has been discussed on GMB before, when it occurs (not in this case) it refers I recall to a narrow window of time in the history of the region-country, of only a few years.

Robert (bOBA)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand