No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Monart .... bowl shape X ...10 inches in diameter at widest point.  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I think this probably dates from the 1930's unless it was produced over a long period of time  . It's 10 inches in diameter at it's widest point and has a pitted outer surface . I assume it's Monart , not the most interesting of pieces but I was very happy to find it . Shape X .

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=2696&category_id=260&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
That surface decoration is often referred to as Granite, but I'm more used to Granite being from Strathearn, who also made this shape.
I think you might need somebody who knows much more about this than I do.
I can ask my wee brother, when I speak to him on Sunday, if Monart did Granite. ;D
On the other hand this seems to be rather thin glass, quite finely blown and has a white liner - that's a Monart sort of thing.
Obviously, I can't heft or feel it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
Could this possibily be a Monart pumice piece?

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Sue & Greg , I didn't know Strathearn did this shape ! I assumed too much ! One clue is that the button type of pontil mark isn't highly polished ...it's slightly dulled and you can see parallel lines of polishing marks . It has lots of age related scratching to the base though .
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
DoH!  :-[ Well spotted Greg.
The only Pumice I've ever seen was green.
The white liner said no to Strathearn, and it's actually a finer texture than Granite, isn't it.
My excuse is that there is not much Pumice around, we just don't see it.

Strathearn "buttons" are large, flat and clear and tend to have a leaping salmon on them. I didn't see the button. My brother would have put me right, but you got there first, Greg, Thanks! :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
None of them look much like the big round green one, which I have seen and handled. ;D
That involved a bit of shennanigans, I was with my brother and the vase was in one of those silly Oxford Street shops in London, where you have to ring a doorbell to get in, then get allocated a personal member of staff to follow you around - either to relieve you of as much cash as they can, or to prevent you stealing or breaking stuff. We just wanted to get a good look at it and cop a feel. It was a very long time ago and it's the only bit I have personally encountered. No piccies, I'm afraid.

But the slightly pitted, slightly dull, surface finish is spot on. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks again for that you two ...glad you like it  !! It really looks the same as the first vase in the link above. So it would date from the 1930's , I guess, and must be quite rare then  :o This is the first Monart I have found and for it to be an early one is superb news ! Plus it's the largest size of bowl in that shape . I'm shocked by the valuations !
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
As I was saying, the only bit I've ever seen was in one of those incredibly exclusive antique glass shops in Oxford Street. Along with a plethora of absolutely top end, cased, cut and coloured VSL, a load of Dresser Clutha, Galle, d'Argy Rousseau and... that sort of thing.
We went on a trip right across London just to see it. (and everything else there too, it was too tempting not to!)
But we were trying to pretend we didn't know anything and were just tourists gawking.
I slightly exaggerated the rolling of my rs to emphasise that point. ;)

I think it is quite safe to use the "R" word. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
What a lovely story Sue ! I don't collect Monart so Scotland would be the most suitable home for it  ;)
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand