No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Monart .... bowl shape X ...10 inches in diameter at widest point.  (Read 2171 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Unfortunately, my brother isn't collecting any more. He's got a house to build and that is kind of taking priority.
I think there might be collectors of Monart in other countries though. It is a rather famous sort of glass, very cutting edge for its time.
Nigel gave a great lecture at the Edinburgh Conference on whether Ysart glass could be considered to be the earliest ever Studio Glass, or even a precursor to it.
The conclusion was both yes and no.
Technically speaking, Studio Slass was "born" at the Toledo lectures, 23rd March, 1963.
So no.
But by all other critera; hand made by individual artists, in a small setting with not a lot of hot glass available, each piece absolutely unique, and pushing the metal to see what they could get it to do for them, yes.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Well I wish your brother all the very best with that task ! It's a very difficult business ...once the roof is on ....that's the time to celebrate as it's all down hill from then on  :D (not that I've built my own house  :o !) . I think it's called a topping-out party !

I certainly can see why this bowl could be seen as a precursor to  Studio Glass ...it does look 1930's in shape (to my eyes.. that was my very fist thought whan I saw it in the  shop ) but it could have been made much later if it wasn't for this  prior knowledge  :)

Can't understand why pumice is rare ....perhaps it wasn't that popular at the time  ?

Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I have some comments and opinions from my brother.
 :)

"Surface decorated bits all tend to be early (not sure if this is documented anywhere) - they were probably the 'Monart Ware' period but without a label you can't prove it. Monart Ware stopped around 1929 so only lasted a few years. Pieces were only made by the Ysarts - and it wasn't their day job!  I guess the surface decorated pieces were expensive and didn't sell so well as the colourful cased pieces with the aventurine and whorls. As ever things that didn't sell so well at the time become rare and desirable to collectors! I suspect they were experimenting with everything at the beginning. Some pumice pieces I find a bit dull - though they still sell well."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks so much Sue for asking your brother and please pass on my thanks to him too  ;)

I do  agree that pumice does look rather dull in comparison to other Monart but the fact that it's early , rare and has a textured surface more than makes up for it  ;D

I will have to find out more about Monart so will be looking for a book !  ;)
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D
You will be running into trouble then. There is only one, by Ian Turner and Frank Andrews. It's out of print and sells for a fortune if found.
Is this story starting to sound familiar?
But there is a ton of info. on Scotland's Glass and it does feature in many good general books.
It's what Judith Miller collects, herself. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I will look out for it ! They should publish these rare books on-line so that we can all see it at a reduced fee ...there must be money to be made by doing this  ;)

I do have The Parkington Collection parts I & II , Christie's Auction cats.. 1997/ 1998...which is a good start !

There is one pumice vase in his colletion (as far as I can see) and one 'stoneware '... like pumice but a pitted surface with much larger indented circles not a small pitted surface texture. That went for just under 1000 quid . The pumice vase didn't sell but was valued at 300-400 as was the stoneware vase.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand