No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Earthtones at Mdina and MDG; Discussion.  (Read 16416 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: Earthtones at Mdina and MDG; Discussion.
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Ok good, great in fact :) Sorry any confusion.
Everyone. Please try to be open minded and encourage new research. It seems like as soon as we find any new material it is immediately dismissed.

What proof do we have that Mdina Earthtones was made at Mdina about the late 1970s, apart from it looks like IOW tortoiseshell? I have yet to see any? Please put up pics of signed early pieces. Could it not have been introduced later?

Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2017, 07:08:09 PM »
You are asking for proof that Earthtones was made at Mdina before MDG was set up?

I thought what we needed was proof Earthtones was made at Mdina long before '78?

We have to use what is available. As you know, things were not catalogued, signed or dated, so we have to use information such as shapes, ground or polished out pontil scars and other features that are only on early pieces.

The nearest thing we have as concrete evidence is that Michael Harris made that globe I showed, at IoWSG after he left Mdina, it has a coachbolt pontil mark, which accurately dates it to mid-to-late 1973 and which Marc now owns.
It proves that Michael Harris was making that design, in 1973, the design he created at Mdina.
Research and finding out new stuff is my passion. I would always encourage it.

nemmie has said he's had a piece of Earthtones with a polished pontil mark, that's early '70s. But we don't have images.
Bullet bowls are early shapes, those triangular thick perfume bottles are early shapes.
I have a massive doorstopper in Earthtones, those are early, pre-'78 shapes, I believe.
I do not think there is any evidence that they were made after Said took over in '75 and things went a bit splodgy.

The tall Earthtones stoppered bottle I showed is cased in milk-bottle glass, not nice clear crystal.
Do you have the date they stopped using broken bottles?
I'm sure that's one of the things your fb group knows about.
This piece would pre-date that.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
As for shapes look at the first link in Reply#4 of this thread.

The neck of the shape in that link is distinctive, as far as I can tell a shape used in the mid 70s, maybe later too. Just like these three, date them and you have a reliable indicator.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 07:20:20 PM »
and Chris's ex-perfume bottle is cased in milk bottle glass too

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
So was mine.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:25 PM »
Hi,

When I originally started this topic I did it in good faith and am happy if my original comments are proved wrong.
 One thing that has been discovered our conversations with Raymond is here in a comment from Sue.........
I had long suspected the nitrate was used for the background in Earthtones rather than the chloride used in other things, the colour of the background is often paler.
And then later on at Mdina, it goes even flatter and paler still.

All best wishes,

Patrick.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2017, 08:00:39 PM »
That's fine, Patrick, I'm sure it was all in good faith.
What was actually said was confusing and some folk interpreted it to mean that Boffo had been the designer, but he wasn't.

There is enough wrong information out there, it doesn't need spread around. :)

The Mdina factory itself doesn't appear to want to acknowledge everything they got from Michael Harris.
The entire Maltese glass industry! ;D The idea, the facilities, the training and the designs.
He started it all.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2017, 12:25:25 PM »
I have been very kindly provided with an image of the base of the Isle of Wight Studio Glass globe in Tortoiseshell (the same design as Mdina Earthtones), with the Michael Harris signature and the coachbolt pontil mark which proves it was made in late '73.

It would still be good to know the date Mdina stopped using milk bottle glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2017, 07:22:09 AM »
From what I remember of topics discussed about milk bottle glass no date was established as to when recycled milk bottles ceased to be used at Mdina.

I know at some point there was both a pot of good clear glass and a pot of recycled glass going on at the same time . I guess the good glass was used for casing. This information came from a glassblower who was there in the early days.

Other coloured glass was used.....red came from crushed up  car break light covers and white from crushed bottles of a liquore , which was popular at the time,  called Tom Boy  :o
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand